Conclusive Info on Week # or 3G Chipset?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snverhallen, Aug 18, 2008.

1. snverhallen macrumors 6502a

Hi there, I'm just wondering if their is any conclusive info on if later Week #'s produce less cracks and better 3G reception. And if the 3G chipset is indeed faulty? Basically should I get a iPhone 3G now or wait till things seem to be fixed up.

Thanks,

snverhallen

P.S. - What are the latest Week 3's?

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

They all have the same chipset. And other threads + rumors seem to indicate that a software fix (2.1, due out soon) will take care of the issue for existing iPhones.

As for cracks, no idea. I would suggest getting Black. :)

3. snverhallen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your response,

Do you have an idea with what the latest week #'s are? I'd rather have a newer week than an older, so I can check when/if I get the iPhone.

snverhallen

4. snverhallen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Does anybody know what a good week # is? Also how exactly do I know which #'s are the week number? Kind of urgent because I might be getting an iPhone tomorrow.

Thanks,

snverhallen

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've got a week #32, replaced on August 10, '08, and no problems so far. Previous 3G iPhone was week #30. Waiting for the 2.1 firmware update...

6. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Mine's week #29 (second week of July), and it has been pretty much trouble-free since I bought it.

The three digits of the serial number, starting from digit 3, represent the year and week of production. Mine's 829, which translates to year 2008, week 29.

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I'm a week 27.

I really don't think week numbers have much to do with it, at least not right now. Either there is a bad plant making these with trouble-prone materials, or perhaps even a bad assembly line in one of the plants. If the reports from people who have to go through 5+ exchanges are to be trusted, then the bad phones are showing up in whole batches, but are evenly spread out through time. Likewise, there are people going to stores who are consistently getting a good phone the first time out, or at worst require only 1 exchange.

And the software issues are software, so that's gonna be pretty evenly spread out too.

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

^^^ I agree, since my first 3G iPhone was Factory: 88, while my second 3G iPhone was Factory 87.

9. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Is it the first two digits of the serial number? If so, mine is #88. Like I said, it's been pretty much trouble-free. :)

10. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

86 here. Hardware has been trouble free.

Are we SURE the first two digits are the factory number though? Because I know the first digit is the year of manufacture (2008).

11. snverhallen thread starter macrumors 6502a

So there's no real pattern in faulty iPhones coming from factory 88 than from factory 87? Also would any of you recommend restoring the iPhone immediately when I get it just to make sure I'm starting from a (completely) clean slate?

snverhallen

12. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

The year of manufacturing is the third digit, not the first. :)

13. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

The first two digits of my serial # are 5K so how does that makes sense for a factory?

14. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

15. JIGPhone macrumors newbie

5K = refurb

16. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

Refurb as in not new or just replacement?!? The Genius told me all the refurb phones are still brand new replacements!! True or false?

17. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Hard to say. I imagine by now it's a mixture: some are new, some are refurbs from returned units.

As most people here will tell you though, Apple does a damned good job with their refurbs, so I wouldn't worry about getting one.

18. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Agreed. My first iPod mini was a refurbished unit, but it's been working very well for the last 4 years. :)

19. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Sounds like you've got a v1 iPhone refurb...:eek:

20. philly's finest macrumors newbie

well my replacement was 5k831.... so i dont see how this could be a refurb if it was made week 31 and these were just being distributed a week ago....

21. JIGPhone macrumors newbie

Maybe it means that the unit was serviced/refurbished on week 31. Some of the internals could have been from an earlier build.

Since Apple assigns new serial #s to "serviced" units, it doesn't make sense for them keep the original build date on the new serial #/refurbished unit.

22. snverhallen thread starter macrumors 6502a

So the serial number goes like this.

#1-?
    #2-?
    #3-Year of manufacture
    #4-First # of week
    #5-Second # of week

Where does the factory number come into play?

snverhallen

23. bmwpowere36m3 macrumors 6502

Just picked up my phone, got a black 8GB week 32... no problems so far (knock on wood).

24. Wolf103FM macrumors regular

week #25, purchased on launch day, and it has been perfect for me, other than software bugs.

25. equlizer macrumors regular

Week 27 here and the first 2 digits are 86. Got it on launch day close to the end.

Just random jumping around while texting on certain websites. Since ive jailbroken my 3g, its been really good. Also safari kicks me out every once in a while (1/20 times). Nothing a reset doesnt fix:)