Concrete Wireless Router Advice

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zephyrnoid, Jun 28, 2009.

1. zephyrnoid macrumors 6502

zephyrnoid

OK, I poured through this thread and discovered a large number of complaints that are wireless router related- specifically- Airport base stations.
    I just signed up with Comcast and all they gave us was a Modem which is now connected to a PC. So I guess I need a wireless router to connect my Mac. So could one or two 'experts' please chime in with the most reliable, easiest to configure solution? Express? Extreme? What's the difference and what's the best solution for failsafe connectivity?

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Airport Extreme Base Station.

/thread.

Oh, and no router will be failsafe. If something fails, you're either screwed, or Apple will replace it.

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

you would have to go with an extreme in your setup, unless the PC has wireless.

the extreme has 3 LAN (local area network) ports to connect your computers in addition to the port that connects to the modem, as opposed to the the extreme which only has a port to connect to the modem.

also when you change over, you have to unplug the modem from power and let it reset before it will see something new plugged into it.

4. Cam42 macrumors member

I read this and thought you were making a wireless router out of concrete. I thought "well, that's a dumb idea" haha