Condemned 2

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by MRU, Apr 6, 2008.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well I thought I'd post my thoughts. Yes welcome to the MRU moody review ;)

I wouldn't say I'm 'hard' to please, but by god they could at least try.

So here I am a few hours into one of my personally highly anticipated titles for 2008 and I hate to say I'm utterly dissapointed.... so i wont. I'll just let this little smiley do it for me :(

So what went wrong with condemned 2 ?

The original condemned came out of nowhere and was probably one of the only gems at the 360's launch.

It was a game that showcased the hardware and technical prowess of the next generation of hardware, as well as being a highly original FPS that brought a plethora of innovation and reinvention to the table.

In many ways it had similarities to the original Half Life. Not in story or content, but in the sense that it tried to bring something very new to the table and for the most part succeeded admirably.

Also like the original Half Life it was only in the last fifth of the game that the tightly woven tapestry that monolith had weaved began to come unstuck. Namely the decision to turn its final levels into bland zombie generic nothingness (very similar to how Half Life became unstuck at the enf of the game when you warped to the alien world and was made to jump around horrid poorly designed alien levels).....

But despite its flaws there was enough good stuff to make it's sequel one of most highly anticipated from those that had played the first.

So is this the pure refined spirit of the original, minus all the bad things and gameplay tightened to near perfection ala Half Life 2 ?

Well the sad answer is.. a big resounding NO!

Where Half life 2 took everything good, dumped everything bad about the original game, Monolith have bizarrely decided to drop a lot of the good stuff and give more time and credence to the stuff that prevented the original from being a true classic.

This is pretty evident from the first main level of the game which starts out well and soon drifts into a rather bland and insipid game.

Not only has the tightly woven world painted with fantastic lighting and detailed textures been reduced to a shimmery poorly aliased grey world of bland textures.... but the fantastic story from the first game has likewise received a watering down. I don't want to say too much on this as it would be a major spoiler regardless.

There have been some improvements though. The forensic investigation parts have been expanded. But makes little difference when you don't particularly care bout what you are doing.

Generally speaking what has most been lost in condemned 2 is 'atmosphere' something the first game had in spades.

So here we are..... two years later after the first game and what we have is just yet another 'ok' fps ... what we certainly don't have is the half life 2 style classic that really could have come from such a great first title.

So... if you haven't played the first, then yes the game is ok and it will fill a few hours of 'entertainment'... but If you have played the first... and enjoyed it - then be prepared for a bit of a disappointment.

6.5/10

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Well MRU I coulda told you that from the start:p.....The first one was really good until they started throwing those zombie/oily looking things after you. I figured it would be more of the same with C2 so I didn't bother.

Glad I didn't.....now back to R6V2.

Bless

3. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

And unfortunately the zombie oily things return big time..... :(

Out goes intelligent level design and genuine frights. In comes just brutal fighting without any feeling of survival and necessity, and also we welcome back big oily gloop :(

Oh well..... that's Dark Sector & Condemned 2 both turning out to be meh! titles. Worth a rent... just not essential purchases in any shape or form. Just wish I hadn't spent €90 on the two.

4. pcypert macrumors 6502

Why is this? This happens in loads of things. Take the heart out of what made the original good and pile up loads of extra crap... movies, games, heck even some musical acts after a successful, unexpected album.

Are developers locked into things they started working on before the game hit or something?

Paul

5. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah it is a strange phenomenon.

I can't imagine they were working on a sequel before it hit the shelves, as it was a new IP and they did not know if it was going to be a good seller or not.

:eek:

edit : -

Oh just to clairify I have been informed that apparently the aliasing issue I mentioned earlier is not as bad on the 360 version compared to the ps3 version I have been playing.