condensation and skiing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by King Luis, Dec 27, 2008.

1. King Luis macrumors 6502

so i had my phone in different pockets when i went skiing and my iphone built up some serious condensation. the screen was wet. i ended up turning off my phone just in case.

should i be worried? i want to listen to music when i go and if water is building up it'd really suck.

2. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Yikes. I'll be going skiing in about a month. Any suggestions as to what I should do with my phone? Maybe I should just leave it in the car...

3. S Brake macrumors regular

When I go I'll be leaving the iPhone in the car and taking the nano or video for music. I'm not even going to risk anything happening to it.

4. Kris B.. macrumors member

@ King Luis
    No, there's nothing to worry about, I've been skiing a couple times this season already and the screen has gotten a little wet, but no damage has been done to my iPhone [PS the water damage indicator was not triggered] I was also listening to music the whole time

5. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I went skiing 3 days straight with my iphone in my ski jacket and it was fine. :confused:

6. buccsmf1 macrumors 6502

ditto...

7. abramson1111 macrumors member

I'm boarding right now, and what i find works is i put my iphone in a ziplock bag.
    If you want to listen 2 music, you could make a tiny hole on the side of the bag and pull the bottom of the headphones thru
    Hope this helps you guys!

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Heading to Tahoe in February '09, and my iPhone will be in the room while I'm on the slopes. Just can't chance falling on it (me and ski lifts don't work well together; I'm that guy that people ski right over the top of, while I barrel-roll off of the ski lift), or the condensation messing up my iPhone...:eek:

Might just bring my Motorola KRZR and put the SIM card in it while I'm skiing.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm too bad of a skier to ever risk my phone by taking it with me. It stays in the room or car.

10. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

My recommendation would be pick up a cheapo second phone.You can use the existing sim, just have ATT add the IMEI or the second phone to you account

11. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

I have used a touch several times while skiing and everything was fine. Normally, I use my shuffle so I don't have to bother reaching in my pocket, taking out my iPod, take off my gloves, and then choose a song.
    I think it's best to use a less expensive alternative though; just in case.

12. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I snowboard at least once a week. I've had the condensation build up on my first gen iPhone for the winter season I had it and have used my 3G on the slopes for about a month now... I usually put it in a plastic ziplock bag when I know I'm going to be boarding for an extended period just in case. So far, it has not effected either of my iPhone's. I wouldn't worry about it too much...

13. King Luis thread starter macrumors 6502

that kind of ruins the purpose of having my phone in the first place.
    i have an old (photo) ipod in my car but with the iphone i could just choose a playlist and use the clicker on the headphones to change song or pick up a call. no need to remove my gloves.

i'll try out the plastic bag idea. or just let it be. maybe change it too a different pocket.