Condensation behind the iMac 27" glass

Discussion in 'iMac' started by macDrewd, Jan 9, 2011.

1. macDrewd macrumors newbie

Ok this is not super great.

My iMac is maybe 14 months old, left it turned on (sleep mode) for a day and forgot it was turned on, it's that quiet and that's a good thing.

The bad thing, I now have condensation behind the glass on the iMac panel.

It's mostly in the right and left upper areas of the panel. How did this happen?!

I have Applecare, what am I likely to expect from Apple? Is this a design problem?

2. Loramarthalas macrumors member

Loramarthalas

1) Get a suction cup.

2) Apply it to the upper right or left corner of the iMac glass.

3) Pull the glass away from its magnetic attachments.

4) Wipe condensation away and replace glass.

3. mad-jamie16 macrumors regular

What the above poster said. But to add, I doubt the iMac being powered on had anything to do with it. The screen is probably either loose or the room is too damp.

4. toxic macrumors 68000

condensation has to do with the environment, not the computer.

5. mjsmke macrumors 6502a

Do you have any windows open? If not, open one and let some fresh air in. You probably have moisture in the air from a bathroom or something.

6. oriol4 macrumors newbie

7. macDrewd thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks oriol4 :cool:

Will try this later tonight. Really useful videos!

Also, I did end up calling AppleCare and was told to leave my iMac on for 24 hours while having all sleep / power functions on my iMac turned off.

This didn't help. So I am expecting a call back from the AppleCare guru, see what he says. Otherwise I will clean the glass myself, never been very keen about doing this sort of work on a computer still covered by warranty, just in case things go horribly wrong :D

8. macDrewd thread starter macrumors newbie

No windows open, might try that. Otherwise air-conditioning is turned on but this has never been a problem previously.

9. macDrewd thread starter macrumors newbie

But I think it has, it seems a flaw in design of the iMac.

10. Monkeytree macrumors newbie

We had the same problem on ours, took it back to the apple store a couple of times, where they apparently replaced the screen each time. Turning it on and leaving it running helped ( which they first suggested when we called ) but it was sorted by the apple store. Give them some hastle and they should fix it for you, its a well known problem!

11. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Oh dear! As has already been said, condensation is nothing whatsoever to do with iMac's, PC's or whatever.

It is a natural phenomena, namely the deposit of water droplets on a cool surface when exposed to an atmosphere of relatively high humidity and temperature.

The simple way to prevent it is either to lower the relative humidity of the room (e.g. open windows, reduce the temperature) or raise the temperature of the object. In a normal living environment, the area of highest humidity is usually the bedroom.

This is why returning the computer to the Apple Store etc is a total waste of time and somewhat laughable. When, in the winter months, I wonder why people don't return their cars to the garage when they experience condensation on the inside of their windows?! :D