Condensation under MacBook (black) keyboard?!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lamina, May 22, 2009.

1. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I don't know how this happened, and I'm really not concerned with how it happened.

A few weeks ago, I noticed some condensation on my screen after I left my black MB closed during class time at my work (I'm a teacher).

I didn't think much of it. It kind of puzzled me though.

Well, today I opened my screen, and some of the keys were wet. It's just water, but now the backspace key, ;;'', the question mark key, ..,,mb the N key, the D key, the R key, and the 3 key don't work.

It's out of warranty. Should I just leave a fan blowing on it for a few hours? I'm using it now with an external keyboard and everything is working fine.

I was also thinking of converting some videos (fans full blast, a lot of heat) and seeing if that helps the water evaporate.

Any more ideas would be great. I was going to take it apart but the middle screw on the bottom of the machine was tightened by Hercules himself. I can't get it loose.

2. jamin100 macrumors 6502

Turn it off! - If that condensation gets onto the logic board it'll fry!

Leave it on a radiator or with a fan blowing on it for a day or two and then try again.

3. lamina thread starter macrumors 68000

lamina

Well, I took it apart and let the fan blow on it for about 12 hours. It's just worse now. I guess I have to replace the entire top case. What a pain. :mad:

4. lamina thread starter macrumors 68000

lamina

One more thing...

This is a picture of a part of the mainboard. It was completely dry, but I noticed some discoloration around an area that I don't believe is involved with the keyboard. Is this normal?

Attached Files:

5. lamina thread starter macrumors 68000

lamina

Well the keyboard was totally dead, even after I took it out to dry for 12 hours or so. I got the replacement today and installed it without a problem. When I took apart the keyboard and top case assembly, I noticed water damage near the keyboard and trackpad controller... I thought the problem was in the keys.

Anyway just adding to the archive of knowledge.