Condition of your phone when you upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMas70, Jul 9, 2014.

1. iMas70 macrumors 6502a

What's the condition of your phone when your eligible for an upgrade and do that? My eligibility date is usually around the time new iPhones are released. I upgrade every two years. My ear speaker currently isn't working. I had a drop of butter fall into it. My iPhone 4 had a line across part of the screen when I got the 5 and the screen on my iPhone 3 was shattered/falling apart when I bought the 4. I haven't had a perfect phone when I upgraded.

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

I usually sell after 1 1/2 year of ownership. Every phone thus far has been mint with no issues.

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

My 4 was close to mint, home button a little soft, after 2 and a half years, lived in an Apple bumper with front and rear glass films. Sold for more than enough to cover subsidized price for 5.

5 is mint, has lived in a Spigen Slim Armor and front glass film. ATT was an ass over billing at one point, so I wiggled out of commitment. It will only be 18months old, Apple replaced for the TMobile fix when TMo deployed iPhones. Now on Cricket(ATT), lol.

Set phone facedown on dinner table. Nothing falls in speaker vents or gooeys the home button, and phone doesn't disturb meal.

4. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

That's funny... I have the same items on my 5 and will probably do the same for the 6 :D

5. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was eatting corn on the cob at my desk at home and had the phone on my lap. One drop of button ran down my chip and feel into the opening. It was like something that you see on TV in slow motion :)

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Better yet, keep it in your pocket so you can actually communicate with people at the dinner table. I see too many zombie families out there who are glued to their phones rather than carry conversation and interact as a family.

7. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

Not every family member is worth communicating with.

8. mr99 macrumors 6502a

9. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Oh come on. With that attitude it's no wonder why family values are quickly deteriorating.

11. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Mint aesthetically. Often a hardware issue though.

12. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Aside from normal battery deterioration, my iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 were "Like New" since I always used a case (basically for better grip). The back on my 3GS has some slight scratches while my original iPhone has some very slight scuff marks but the displays are flawless and both were in good working condition.

13. giraffeboy27 macrumors member

I've only ever had 1 upgrade, which was from 4S to 5S. My 4S had a few tiny chunks of the plastic/glass bezel missing, and the steel band was a bit scratched and dinged.

My 5S has a bit of a dent on the aluminium back after less than a year. Chances are that it'll be in a worse state than the 4S when I get my upgrade, just cus the apple leather case is crap and aluminium is waayyy too soft and easily deforms :L Plus I'm a bit clumsy ;)

14. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

You should meet my family.

15. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

16. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

All of you "like new" guys! Aside from the speaker, mine is in pretty good condition but it looks a little worn. I've thought about using a case but like the natural feel so I take my chances.

17. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

You should not be so hard on yourself!:eek:

18. Azzin macrumors 68040

Mine are always minty mint, as I keep it in a case with front and back screen protectors.

Not for everyone I know, but I like to get maximum ££ when it comes to sell.

19. thetechfixer macrumors 6502

thetechfixer

My phone is basically mint, I have an iPhone 5 and am upgrading when the next iPhone comes out.

20. mr99 macrumors 6502a

I always tell myself to just use it without a case so really enjoy it but keeping it pristine for max resale value always overcomes me :(

21. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

My devices just get handed down to family members so resale value isn't a factor. :rolleyes: I just didn't like the hard edges on the iPhone 4-5s. The 5c is the first iPhone in a long time that felt comfy in my hands. Hopefully, the upcoming iPhone would sport similar curves so I can use it sans case. :)

22. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

My 5 has been in a case its entire life, so you wouldn't expect this but the anodizing has come off in a few places around the edges. I'm starting to wonder if I should have bothered with a case at all. The anodizing on the iPhone 5 *SUCKS*!

However, the screen is flawless and the anodizing damage is not all that obvious so I doubt I'd have trouble getting a nice bundle of cash for it if I sell it when I upgrade.

23. mr99 macrumors 6502a

Stuff gets in the cases causing that.

24. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

My phones are usually in pretty good shape. I typically will offload them to relatives or sell them used. This year, I'm keeping my current phone as a backup once I get the 6.