Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

condition of your refurb Air

• Perfect in every ways. No marks or scratches

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Some marks but nothing big enough for me to care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
I am thinking sbout getting another Air rev. A, but this time I am considering a Apple refurb. At $999+tax it's hard to beat. One thing I am VERY picky about my stuff is the condition. It MUST be zero marks, scratches or finger prints.

What was the condition of your refurbished Air? Please be honest and did you look through it in detail?

fyrefly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2004
I am thinking sbout getting another Air rev. A, but this time I am considering a Apple refurb. At $999+tax it's hard to beat. One thing I am VERY picky about my stuff is the condition. It MUST be zero marks, scratches or finger prints.

What was the condition of your refurbished Air? Please be honest and did you look through it in detail?

Any Refurb computers that I've ever had from the AppleStore have been spotless. I think you'll be impressed. And if you're not, Apple's been very good at taking them back and giving you a different one.

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Do they allow you to switch it at the store or do you have to send it back?

ninjadex

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
They make you send it back, as there is no way to swap out for another refurb at the store.

dead_smed

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2004
Milton Keynes
I bought a refurb black macbook a while back and I'm not sure you could say it was spotless. I think it depends where it came from, be it ex-display model or returned stock. My black macbook had a few corners where the mat black had chipped off, a small scrach on the screen and it was covered in grubby marks and fingerprints.

It cleaned up OK and the small amount of damage I considered acceptable due to the amount of the discount I got on it. Yes I think Apple would have taken it back if I asked, but I thought the % of discount offered was based on condition as well as spec / age. Mind you macbook airs could be treated differently.

fyrefly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2004
I bought a refurb black macbook a while back and I'm not sure you could say it was spotless. I think it depends where it came from, be it ex-display model or returned stock. My black macbook had a few corners where the mat black had chipped off, a small scrach on the screen and it was covered in grubby marks and fingerprints.

It cleaned up OK and the small amount of damage I considered acceptable due to the amount of the discount I got on it. Yes I think Apple would have taken it back if I asked, but I thought the % of discount offered was based on condition as well as spec / age. Mind you macbook airs could be treated differently.

You could have easily returned it. A Scratch in the screen is no small matter - and something that if it got worse, Applecare would probably not fix (would be easy for them to say "user inflicted damage").

Some people these days have received old stock RevAs that they haven't sold yet - so basically a brand new machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.