Conditions when Apple replaces battery under warranty

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pjny, Apr 5, 2017.

1. pjny macrumors 6502a

The battery on my 17 month old iphone 6s+ seems to be dying quite quickly. I have to charge it constantly as it dips way faster than it used to. I could use it for an hour and 30 percent is gone. I just keep it plugged in to either an Anker battery now or an adaptor.

I tested it with some apps such as Battery Life and the battery wear level shows 45.5-55% of total capacity. One app shows 1500/2750 maH under battery health.

I checked battery usage and most of the battery is being used for browsing(19%) and instagram(13%). The rest of the apps are at about 3-4% so no significant app drain.

I have Applecare and I think Applecare page stated anything under 80% wear level under warranty warrants a free battery replacement. Is this accurate? I am setting up a genius appointment but would like to know what to expect financially.

I remember taking in my 16-month old iphone 3g to apple years ago as the battery would not hold charge. I had backed up and reset it before going(apple phone tech advised me to do this) in for what I thought was an issue covered by applecare.

The genius gave me a hard time about resetting the phone before I came in and told me to come back in three days so they could read the stored battery data. Told him that the apple tech I spoke to on the phone suggested resetting, the battery was not performing properly and escalated the issue. They finally relented and swapped out a refurbished 3g.

Thanks.

2. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

If your battery is under 80% original capacity, Apple will replace the battery under warranty or for $79.
    source

3. pjny thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. Due to my previous issue with a battery replacement with the 3g: are the numbers(below 80% capacity) determined by some proprietary software they use? Can I state the battery is definitely worn out and Coconut battery, for instance, states the wear level is under 80%? I just want to have some stats if they deny a battery replacement under warranty stating the battery is within spec.

I felt the battery on my iPhone 6s+ did not perform at the level I expected from the first days. I have used iphone 3g, 4s, 5s, 6s+ and I was expecting a lot more battery life from the 6s+ due to the much larger battery and that many were saying they could get a whole day out of it.

4. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

They use their own internal diagnostic software, but it's results are usually pretty similar to other apps. Considering you're seeing results consistently less than 80%, there should be no issue.

If you're worried, you can chat with someone from getsupport.apple.com and have someone run a remote diagnostic for you.

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

If you have a mac you can download Coconut battery. This is a real time battery reader and is much more accurate than any iOS app.

Now with Apple's diagnostic. Their system isn't as accurate as coconut battery because it's not reading a real time live mAh number. Their diagnostics uses the average mAh over the last 2 weeks. So if the battery was above 80% within the last two weeks, then it probably will not qualify unless you pester them.

But being down to 60%~ I would expect it to show up as a failed battery. Assuming the app is estimating correctly. Coconut can confirm that.

6. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

Huh, I didn't know they take the average over two weeks - that's pretty smart! If you show up with a freshly restored phone, can they still run the test or will they tell you to come back in two weeks?

7. pjny thread starter macrumors 6502a

I had the same issue of restoring the phone before going in. They told me to come back in 3 days.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 5, 2017 ---
    coconut battery states:

maximum charge/battery health: 81.1%(2275mAh), then it change to 83%
    design capacity is 2750maH.
    Loadcycles are 567.

Is this close enough to the magical 80% (with a margin of error + or - on their diagnostic tools vs. coconut) to get the battery replaced? My apple care runs out in october 2017 so I'm sure the battery health will dip below 80 by then.

How long does it take to get it replaced at the apple store btw?
    I have a company iphone 6 with battery manufacturing date of Dec 2014. Amazingly the:

maximum charge is 1711 maH out of 1810mAh. 99.4%
    587 load cycles.

How is this possible? Is Coconut battery incorrect?

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Coconut battery is as accurate as it can get. Its reading the real-time mAh of the battery. A battery's mAh changes hundreds of times a day. Based on temperature, load, charging and so on. iPhone batteries are rated for 80% after 500 cycles. But thats a minimum rating. I've had batteries stay at 100% capacity until 1000 cycles and then immediately drop off. This is because batteries are not a complete science. Batteries can also be over the maximum capacity. My 7 Plus is currently 2966/2900. This again is because its not a complete science. So its possible your work phone started over 100% and is taking longer to degrade. All they are are chemicals. 80% is the magic number, if you get a nice genius, they may do it for you earlier than that.
    They will tell you to use the device for 2 weeks and then return and they will re-run the diagnostics. My buddy use to work as a Genius so I learned all the ins and outs of how it works.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, most likely they will deny you at the moment but before October 2017 it should go down enough to warrant a battery replacement.

10. IowaLynn macrumors 6502a

IowaLynn

My first 6S+ bought in January 2016 had dismall battery performance. Sold trade-in with Amazon. Last fall decided to buy another only this time chose refurbished unit and it was perfect.

Weren't there some batches with defective batteries from air contamination early on?

11. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Only for 6s.

12. nmeed macrumors regular

How many cycles is your 7 plus at? Could you tell me which charger and cable you use? Also, could you please tell me your charging habits? More often than not on a daily basis is it 100-0-100, 100-30-100, 100-40-80-30-100? Thanks!

13. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

So I got a replacement iPhone last week. But the iPhone was sent back at 197 cycles 2911/2900 mAh. I use an Apple iPad charger and Apple lightning cable. Never expose the phone to extreme heat or cold. Never let the phone drop below 10%. Other than that normal charging behaviors. I typically plug in at the end of the day around 20% and it charges overnight.

14. richardsonrs macrumors regular

Is there a direct link for coconut battery? I searched for it but none of the thousand apps that came back had coconut in the name of the app or developer.

15. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Its a Mac app. Not in App Store.