Conect Firewire Camera to Macbook Via External Drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by spyboy360, Jul 17, 2011.

1. spyboy360 macrumors newbie

Hello, i own the 13 in Aluminum Macbook, which i love, but unfortunately does not have a Firewire port. Ive goten around this buy just filming video with USB compatible cameras, but recently i have been hired to capture video from miniDV tapes, which only interface with Firewire. I was wondering if it would be posible to "daisy chain a adaptor" IE plug the Firewire camera into an external hard drive that suports USB AND Firewire, (into its Firewire daisy chain port) then plug the drive into my computer though the USB port, and import like that.
    would this work? or is this just wishful thinking?
    Pierce

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It's just wishful thinking. You'd need to connect the drive via Firewire to use the other Firewire port. No drive has the capability to bridge across the wildly incompatible interfaces.

3. simsaladimbamba

No, it would not work, as Firewire is a dedicated bus and USB is going via the CPU, thus they are not compatible.
    You need to have a dedicated Firewire port on the computer you want to capture the DV or HDV footage.

4. spyboy360 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help. its a shame though, im plaining on getting the new macbook pro this month, then ill have thunderbolt :)

5. simsaladimbamba

And Firewire.