Conecting Macbook pro to my TV and Speakers

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by boincorvaia, Feb 19, 2009.

1. boincorvaia macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm a lifelong PC user who is making the switch from a PC desktop to a macbook pro. Currently I have A set of Klipsch promedia 5.1 surround sound speakers. I am also anticipating inheriting a samsung television from a friend. I would like to be able to use my current speakers and and my new t.v. with my macbook, but I've got a couple of questions here.

1) It looks like the television has a vga input on it. So I'm assuming my best bet is to get the Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter. what can I expect in terms of quality here? The television is 1080p. Will i be able to get 1080p through a vga adapter? Is there a better option out there?

2) Assuming the television did have a DVI port on it, what is the difference between the Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter and the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter?

3) I would very much like to have both the television and the macbook hooked up to the klipsch speakers. I'm assuming my best option for connecting the macbook is something like the Griffin Firewave. (Sadly it looks as if this has been discontinued.) The Television's only audio out is optical. Does anyone know of an external sound card that would allow me to connect both the macbook and the television? Or if someone has a better solution as to how to accomplish that; I'm all ears.

Thanks and regards.

2. bobbypotluck macrumors member

I'm not 100% sure about the new macbook pro, but my current setup is a DVI to HDMI cable for the past generation of macbook pro. Most new televisions come with HDMI ports, the only drawback is no sound. For that I just use my computer speakers since they're close to the TV.

If there is a VGA port, there will most likely be a sound hookup for the computer as well. Otherwise you're going to run into alot of problems with sound. As far as i know most TV's wont allow you to hookup sound and an HDMI cable in the same input.