Coned SSD can't use Firevault

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dickdaney, Nov 29, 2015.

1. dickdaney macrumors regular

I cloned my HDD using Superduper to a samsung 850 SSD. When I go to turn on fire vault on the SSD i get the message "some disk formats don't support the recovery partition required by encryption. To use encryption, reinstall this version of OS X on a reformatted disk."

Can anyone tell me what the messages means and if/how I can use fire vault on my SSD?

Using OS X 10.11.1 on a late 2011 MBP 13"
    Original drive was a stock 500 GB HDD
    SSD is a 500 GB samsung 850 EVO

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I guess you mean "Filevault", and not fire vault or firewall :D
    I'm pretty sure that message means that your SSD does not support enabling FileVault when the Recovery HD partition is missing from that disk. I don't think that SuperDuper! supports cloning the recovery partition. I do know that Carbon Copy Cloner will do that. Or, you can search for how to add the recovery partition to your SSD. Here's one: http://www.macworld.com/article/260...-creator-adds-os-x-recovery-to-any-drive.html

3. dickdaney thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Looks like i only have 2 options since Superduper doesn't clone the recovery partition. 1) clean install of El Capitan and copy my files from time machine 2) re-install El Capitan over my current install.

Looks likes Recovery Partition Creator 3.8 doesn't currently support OSX 10.11

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just install El Capitan over top of the existing install without erasing the drive. Your existing data will still be there and that will create a recovery partition for you. Backup first of course just in case things don't go according to plan.