Confederate Flag Avatars: Time to say Goodbye

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by vrDrew, Aug 6, 2015.

?

Should MacRumors allow Confederate Flag Avatars

1. Yes

77 vote(s)
    65.8%
  2. No

40 vote(s)
    34.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vrDrew, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2015

vrDrew macrumors 65816

In light of tragic recent events, I am asking that MacRumors moderators and staff consider a ban on users creating avatars that feature or consist mainly of images of the Confederate Flag.

This is not the place to debate or discuss the detailed history of the flag in question. Suffice it to say that for a significant majority of people, both in the United States and elsewhere, the Confederate flag has come to represent, not Southern pride or military prowess, but in fact an institutional and societal racism that a great many users find deeply offensive.

If a member wishes to select a symbol of Southern - or even Confederate - pride and heritage - there are infinite choices. A picture of Robert E. Lee; John Bell Hood. The CSS Virginia. Colonel Sanders.

To my mind, prominent display of the Confederate flag contributes nothing to either the discussion nor the community. As we are all frequently reminded, participation here is not a matter protected by the First Amendment of the US Constitution. And to that end, I respectfully ask that present and future members of the MR community be prohibited from choosing as their avatar, iconography of the Confederate Flag. South Carolina got rid of it. NASCAR got rid of it. Wal-Mart got rid of it.

Its time for us to get rid of it too.

2. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I can go either way, but the scales tipped for me, as people are using it as a vehicle for trolling.

3. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I voted yes, simply because it's an incredibly contentious issue, and we shouldn't rely on forced moderation to settle one side of it.

...no matter how damn wrong they are.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

There is no right to not be offended. If it bothers you that much, OP, I believe you can turn off a setting that shows avatars.

5. fleabite macrumors member

fleabite

While I share some of your distaste for that flag's baggage, OP, I cannot side with you. I want to keep the censorship to a minimum. It does not, itself, constitute trolling.

6. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

There isn't actually. But there is a workaround.

@vrDrew: While I don't agree with what the flag stands for, I'm also not for banning its use. Under that logic, everything that offends me or anyone else should be banned as well. And pretty soon we're left with almost all avatars banned.

Simply ignore what offends you, is the best advice I can give.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If we start banning confederate flag avatars, what will be next? Surely people will be offended by other avatars of political or social aspects. Political Correctness seems to have taken on a higher level of sensitivity. If something bothers you, ignore it.

8. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

I like it when idiot-posters come pre-labelled.

Saves me even reading :)

The thought that it's self-labeling, is just delicious gravy

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

10. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Or you could change it to this and really confuse people:

[​IMG]

:D

11. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm a little curious.

If (in 2015) a Confederate Flag doesn't meet that standard, then just what does?

Swastikas? ISIS? Sure. But I'd struggle to come up a prize behind door #3 that wasn't the good ole Stars and Bars.

12. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Actually, if we are talking about flags, this flag would be considered offensive by many in the world
    Should its use be banned here?
    Asking for a friend...

usa.jpg

13. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

Please tell me exactly where, and under what circumstances, the United States flag would be considered "offensive".

Asking because I think your "friend" is a bunch of baloney.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

There was in the older software, I didn't realize that it wasn't on this software.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

MacRumors already bans dozens of things, why is this different?

16. stickyd8 macrumors member

stickyd8

This is just ridiculous. The lack of double standards is unbelievable. I constantly see other offensive avatars, comments, and images here and in other online forums. I'm not even going to get into the history of the flag or the meaning to true Southerner. So either ban everything else that can be considered offensive or move on.

17. stickyd8 macrumors member

stickyd8

Actually, former President's owned slaves and slavery was accepted and rampant under the United States flag, so if you want to get technical, it could be perceived as offensive to the same idiots who think the Confederate Flag is offensive just b/c it was hijacked by the KKK.......which coincidentally flies the American Flag at it's rallies too. I don't feel like either is offensive. They are part of our history, and history isn't always daisies and butterflies. We learn from our past.

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

19. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I would lean towards saying let the racists advertise that fact so I can know to ignore their posts. However if Macrumors would ban a swastika avatar then I'd say the confederate flag should be banned as well.

20. dec. Suspended

dec.

21. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

Well I think we are going to have to get a little specific here. The flag that we now refer to as the "Confederate" flag had virtually no use during the US Civil War itself. It was only afterwards - when it was adopted by the KKK and Southern segregationists that it became controversial.

We wouldn't be having this conversation in 1980. Just as using certain racial epithets we now consider unacceptable would not have been unusual if we were having this conversation in 1930.

Times change. And its time for us to recognize that the Confederate flag, in 2015 means one thing, and one thing only: The person displaying it is a proud racist.

They might claim otherwise. Like a guy marching around in SS uniform claims he's just a WWII buff. But that is irrelevant.

I don't think that is acceptable behavior in the sort of community I want to be part of.

22. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I would say more American flags have been burned around the world than Confederate flags
    Of course I have no proof, and neither would anyone else, just perception
    But when was the last time you saw a Confederate flag burned in front of an American embassy?

Check with many in Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Syria, Somalia, North Korea, and see if any are revolted by the American flag
    Hell, check in Britain, France or Germany
    Geez, for that matter, check in the USA

I for one, stand for the Star Spangled Banner and put my hand over my heart
    I recite the pledge of allegiance and say "one nation, under God"

But not everyone shares that sentiment around the world

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Just because you say it doesn't make it so.

No one is forcing you to come here. If you feel that strongly about it, then go to another website.

24. vrDrew thread starter macrumors 65816

Am I just making this up? Is this something that just popped into my head, me alone, in the last day or two?

Why did half a dozen Governors decide it was time to take the flag down. Why did half the businesses in this country decide it was time to stop selling stuff with it on there?

I'm really sick and tired of this false-equivalence, dog-whistle nonsense. And I'm tired of people like you either making excuses for it, or actively condoning it.

This is not a Free Speech or First Amendment issue. Its about a community where one particular type of unpleasant person is permitted to (literally) wave his hatred, bigotry and small-mindedness in everyone else's face. And no one can stand up and say "enough!"

Well, I'm saying: Enough.

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

So far, it doesn't seem like the community agrees with you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.