Config. of/Purchasing New MBP & Many Q's

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by spitefire, Aug 9, 2008.

1. spitefire macrumors newbie

I apologize for this long, long post. :x

Hello! I'm one of those PC users switching over to Mac that is somewhat terrified by it. But these forums have really helped a lot--I see that a lot of people have the same issues I do. I'm really familiar with Windows and how to navigate around and fix them, and not knowing what to expect with Mac is kind of scary, though I'm really excited! :D I would wait until (late September?) the new release, especially because of the Nvidia etc. problems, but for my major I kind of need one ASAP, and would like to get used to it before classes start. I don't know. I'd like to save money, also, so if it's a MBP update, they'd probably be more expensive, right? Anyway:

Configuration for a new 15" MBP:
    2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM02x1GB
    250GB Serial ATA @ 5400rpm
    Glossy Screen

Is the 250GB/5400ram or 200GB/7200ram better for my needs?

What I need it for:
    Internet, music, downloading, general schoolwork/writing, web/graphic design and most importantly, film editing. I'm a film/screenwriting major and the MBP has been recommended to me everywhere under the sun.

Questions:
    1. Someone (and this shows how great/helpful this forum is) mentioned getting an extra warranty or replacement warranty etc. through AMEX, which is what I'm using to purchase. How do you go about doing that? Just call 'em up?
    2. I'm not getting 4GB because I heard it was fairly easy to upgrade it yourself for cheaper (as I'm a college student). Is this true?
    3. I'm purchasing an external hard drive, probably this one) for necessary back ups. Does it look okay?

Transferring files from PC to Mac:
    Recommendations for an ethernet/router I can use and where to purchase it (preferably at the Apple store, so I can purchase together) would be great.

Discounts:
    I'm using a discount through my university, and I think I just learned that discounts available have to be given out personally (?), but it's worth a shot asking if anyone knows where I could find an additional one. I know about the ones that come with the education discount. I am using the $100 off a printer (great since I don't have one), but not the iPod. I already have one and even with the rebate I don't think I can bring myself to pay the extra $299+ dollars with everything else I need. It seems like there are a lot reselling already, also, which would have been my only option for it. I'm stupid, I know. :eek:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Welcome to Mac ownership and welcome to MacRumors:Forums! You'll find a lot of information both here and on the web. Here are a few resources that may be helpful:

Mac 101 a tour of the Mac OS X
    Apple Support search Apple Support and the Knowledge Base
    MRoogle for searching the forums with Google (always a good idea before posting new questions)
    How to set up a quick right-click search of the MR forums.
    MacRumors FAQ
    MacRumors Rules
    MacRumors Guides Very helpful stuff!
    A list of the MR Forums (so you'll know which forum is best to post a new question)
    Maximizing your MacRumors troubleshooting experience. (if you really need help, this is valuable to know!)
    Apple Find Out How
    Apple Keyboard Shortcuts
    You can find lists of essential applications here and here and here.

If you search the forums and don't find what you're looking for, just ask! There's lots of friendly help here! Enjoy your new Mac!

By the way, if you search the forums for each of your questions separately, you'll likely find dozens of threads with information and answers.

3. spitefire thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much! I will do that, and come back and edit this post if some of my major questions aren't clarified. Thanks again.

Okay, my questions have been updated!

4. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Answers are in bold.:)

5. spitefire thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, thanks. You answered everything! I'm going to check out all the sites you provided (especially Macmall!) and I guess I need to reconsider a glossy screen. You've been so helpful! :]

6. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

No problem! Thats what we are here for! MacMall is a great site, just watch their return policy. But, they have amazing deals!

7. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Wow, that AMEX thing is pretty nifty. I wish my credit limit was a little higher to be able to buy a laptop without maxing it out :p.

But yeah, I bought the same MBP you're thinking about getting just 3 weeks ago. Wonderful machine, you won't be disappointed. The matte screen is very vibrant and clear, and I've never felt this thing get slow on me even with all the RAM in use.

If you decide to get into Final Cut editing, buy an external drive that supports FireWire 800, so that you can use it as your scratch disk to make things faster. If the only reason why you need an external is for storage, USB 2.0 works just fine.