Config ?s before leaving "the dark side"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BitterB, Apr 23, 2007.

1. BitterB macrumors member

I'm about to take the plunge (switching from PC) and want to make sure I'm getting configured right...........here goes: I'm not an advanced user, but expect to get involved shortly with creating highlight DVDs (with voice over) for sports footage (i.e. football highlights ala John Madden for training players and refs). Other than this, my basic needs will include photo editing and organizing, web surfing, MS Office for Mac using, standard issue computer stuff........maybe some basic games for the kids, but not so much for me. Here are my questions:

I'm thinking Imac 24", upgraded for 2GB RAM and the 256VRAM. I don't see my needs requiring the 2.33Ghz upgrade from the 2.16, and I'll just upgarde the hard drive externally if I ever fill up the 250G version that comes loaded.

Any thoughts you Mac experts have for a Mac newbie on my config ideas?? I'm looking forward to leaving "the dark side".......thanks for the input.

2. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

Yep, I think you have it right.
    I have kids and each has their own login. This works well in that they each get to customize their desktops. So 2 G of RAM should do.
    For DVDs, video gobbles up the gigabytes. If you are using miniDV expect about 10G per hour of video. If .. oops when you run out of disk space, an external drive will likely be faster too.
    I switched about three years ago. I bought a 1.8G PowerMac. We also have a mini. Planning on buying a 20" iMac in the next couple months.

3. BitterB thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I've gone back and forth on the advantages and disadvantages of upgrading the on board hard drive to 500G versus the external drive. I had no idea the external version would be faster. Why is that?

Any other thoughts from others on my config ideas for my first Mac?

4. makismagoo99 macrumors regular

makismagoo99

I also agree that the 250GB hard drive will run out shortly if you get really into the video editing. Other than that, it sounds like you've done your homework and got it down.

5. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Get this iMac from the Refurbished Store:

Refurbished iMac 24-inch 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo SuperDrive
    1GB (2x512MB) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300)
    250GB Serial ATA hard drive
    Slot-load 8x double-layer SuperDrive
    NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT with 128MB GDDR3 memory
    Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0
    Built-in iSight Camera and Apple Remote
    • Save 16% off the original price
    Original price: $1,999.00
    Your price: $1,699.00

6. gavd macrumors 6502a

The hard drive in the iMac is a 7200RPM drive and I'm not sure that there are any consumer hard drives out there with a higher RPM than that.

I'd just go with the 250G and get an external at some point.

7. BitterB thread starter macrumors member

Great! I guess I'll be going with the 250G hard drive, then upgrade externally when the 250G fills.

Now, any additional comments out there on the 2.16 vs 2.33 Ghz processor? I don't see any real need to upgrade that based on my use patterns? Am I missing anything?

8. MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

Encoding video jobs might be around 10% faster, that's about it. Really wouldn't bother based on the cost. Save the pennies for the external HD which you will need sooner rather than later.

M.

9. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

There are 10k Drives (WD Raptors) but not near the size - the largest is 150Gb and cost around $175 at newegg.com