Configuration 21" vs 27"

Jawersen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2012
6
0
While we are all waiting...

Can someone explain to me why its not possible to configure the 21" model with the 3.4 Ghz i7 and the 2GB graphic card?
I want a powerfull beast but not with this monster screen.
 

Stolz25

macrumors member
May 14, 2012
79
0
While we are all waiting...

Can someone explain to me why its not possible to configure the 21" model with the 3.4 Ghz i7 and the 2GB graphic card?
I want a powerfull beast but not with this monster screen.
My guess would be heat. As it is they can have heat problems, and the 21" model has more stuff packed into a smaller area.
 
Comment

Matador Red

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2012
69
0
Because apple wants the consumer to opt for the higher end machine
This is probably 90% of the reason. The other 10% may have to do with physical space and heat constraints. There is no space issue with the 3.4 CPU over any other but maybe it requires a different logic board that needs more space? Not really sure on any of that but they may factor into it.

----------

My guess would be heat. As it is they can have heat problems, and the 21" model has more stuff packed into a smaller area.
Yup, Not only is there more packed in that space but there is less aluminum to act as a heat sink.
 
Comment

bniu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2010
989
181
My guess would be heat. As it is they can have heat problems, and the 21" model has more stuff packed into a smaller area.
The 21" uses 65W CPUs, the 27" uses 95W CPUs. The 2.8 i7 in the 21" is the same basic model number as the 3.4 i7 in the 27". They both turbo boost up to 3.8.
 
Comment

Stolz25

macrumors member
May 14, 2012
79
0
The 21" uses 65W CPUs, the 27" uses 95W CPUs. The 2.8 i7 in the 21" is the same basic model number as the 3.4 i7 in the 27". They both turbo boost up to 3.8.
Guess you're going to have to spell out your point. Don't see how this contradicts what I said (if you were contradicting me).
 
Comment

bniu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2010
989
181
Guess you're going to have to spell out your point. Don't see how this contradicts what I said (if you were contradicting me).
Not contradicting you, just expanding on your point.
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.