Configuration help???

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Boomer85, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Boomer85 macrumors member

I'm going to be replacing an older D-Link Wireless-G router this week with the new dual-band Airport Extreme (don't try and talk me out of it...I have $85 in Best Buy gift cards to burn) :)

...anyway, with all this chat about potential Airport Extreme firmware issues people are seeing, as well as, potentially this new Airport Utility upgrade...can I get some advice as to what versions on each to run.

My setup will be:
    - Dual Band Airport Extreme Base Station (Connected to Cable modem w/Business Class speed upwards of 20 mb/s down)
    - USB Printer connected to the AEBS
    - Older Windows machine plugged into the AEBS (hard-wired)
    - Unibody MBP (can't wait to take advantage of the "N")
    - Dell lappy running Vista (just a "G" wireless card)
    - 2 iPhone 3Gs and a Wii

What network configuration would you recommend?

Opinions welcomed and appreciated...
    Thanks!

2. Boomer85 thread starter macrumors member

3. TheCoupe macrumors member

Hi, I don't know exactly what special configurations you are looking for besides the fact that you can activate the second '5Ghz' wireless band which uses 802.11a/n. You would then have 'Network Name' on 2.4Ghz for up to G devices, and 'Network Name 5Ghz' for your N devices. That way, when connecting the likes of your iPhones etc, your network performance on N devices will not be compromised.

4. Boomer85 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I was just wondering, given the devices in play, what's the best config? I've heard everything from just publish one SSID at 5GHz, then non-N devices can connect too...to publishing 2 SSIDs like you mentioned. Obviously if there's a way to prevent any other traffic on the 5GHz band so my MBP can enjoy all its benefits, that's the way I'll go.

Then I read about how you can piggy back an older g-based router through the LAN port of the AEBS and set that just as a access point for the g-based devices. I don't really want to run 2 routers, but it was interesting.

I just wanted to know which config will get me the most bang for my buck.

What about issues with the new Airport Utility issues in regards to N...and/or firmware versions for the AEBS causing probs?

Thanks!

5. TheCoupe macrumors member

I'm running the new airport extreme myself, and how I described is how I've got mine set up. Though I also have an airport express thrown into the mix as well to help boost the range for G devices on the 802.11g 2.4Ghz band which seems to work well.

I'm currently running:
    Intel Mac Mini - Cat 5e to Airport Extreme
    Intel Mac Mini - 802.11g
    Apple TV - 802.11n (5Ghz)
    MacBook - 802.11g
    MacBook Pro - 802.11g
    Mac Pro - 802.11n (5Ghz)
    2 x iPhone 3G - 802.11g
    Epson Stylus R300 - USB to APEB
    HP 2600n - Cat 5e direct to Modem.

All works flawlessly.

6. Boomer85 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a mill...is there a trick to the setup of the 2 SSIDs? Is there a How-To doc out there that takes you step by step or is that overkill? I've found a few blogs online providing some tips, but not much in regards to the new dual-band AEBS.

Thanks!

7. TheCoupe macrumors member

There's nothing complicated about it, just set it up as normal, then go back into the configuration and click on manual, to manually change the settings. In one of the pages, there is a tick box to turn on 5Ghz with it's own SSID field. Turn that on, name the SSID, update the APEB and you're done. You should now see your normal 2.4Ghz name show up and your 5Ghz name show up when you try to connect a wireless device. Just make sure you pick the right ones for the relevent devices.

Just don't be fooled by the fact that some of your 'g' devices will connect to the 5Ghz, as they will connect as 'a' and not 'n', therefore slowing the 5Ghz network.

Hope this helps.