Configurations/Installations after switching to SSD ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by V4705, Aug 18, 2011.

1. V4705 macrumors 6502

Should I use different configurations (changing something in power saving or other configuration?) or setup some driver/software for this SSD drive?

It's the crucial M4 128gb BTW.

Thanks!

2. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

The only setting you might want to turn off is the hard drive sleep. I've read threads about people having minor issues with it on.. But you don't necessarily need to change anything. The SSD should work fine with your current settings.

3. V4705 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. simsaladimbamba

Is there a reason for bumping? Sometimes a little extra information might be helpful for other people, who can help, and since this thread is almost seven months old, you might have a different problem now.

5. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

The only thing I would think about doing is enabling TRIM. That said, the consensus on whether it is a good idea or not on the M4 remains up in the air. Crucial says that the built-in optimizing firmware cleans garbage when the disk is mostly idle and that TRIM is not needed. Some other people have reported that their M4's have slowed down after 6 months and that enabling TRIM has fixed this. Some others have reported issues with TRIM and so the decision to enable it should not be taken lightly. You may want to benchmark your disk to see if it is performing as it did when it was new.

6. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4253/the-crucial-m4-micron-c400-ssd-review/2
    Here's the difference in performance between TRIM on and off on Windows.
    It's gigantic! Crucial's garbage cleaning isn't the best.
    If I were you, I'd enable TRIM, even if the computer gets riddled with bugs.

7. negativzero macrumors 6502

The issue with Trim is more than just enabling it to solve problems. Its got more to do with the user's usage after doing some research.

The main thing with the M4 is it employs what is known as idle time garbage collection, in other words, it does its cleaning when it isn't doing anything. SF based drives use what is called active garbage collection which means it does its cleaning when its called for. Why I say enabling Trim is dependent on the usage of the drive is because if you use the SSD mainly for booting/loading programs, there won't be much writing to be done to the drive, write activity is low on the drive meaning it will be idle most of the time and the M4 can clean its own garbage. However if you use the M4 to store your documents, download stuff, etc... there is a lot of writing and the drive won't be on idle as much as it should, and therefore Trim will be better in this instance.

So as far as enabling Trim is concerned, look at your usage before deciding.

8. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

This is really great info guys! :) I've always found the SF cleaning in itself to be sufficient independent of TRIM. My computers sit idle overnight while powered on, and thus far that seems to permit sufficient garbage collection. I did benchmarks on my M4 when I first installed it, and I will do it every month for 6 months or so. My smaller Crucial has not had any issues to date either, but it really isn't used all that much and it sits idle most of the time. At that point I will look to see how it is running down the road. If it is poor, I will enable TRIM. If it is still running good, I probably won't as if I can avoid some of the potential issues with TRIM on Lion, I would like to. I do agree TRIM can really benefit the M4 but it will depend on how a computer is used. I am hoping for me it won't be necessary (crosses fingers).

9. lamboman macrumors 6502

TRIM is unnecessary for users who do typical word processing, email, browsing, and other light usage. On the other end of the scale, if you are using the drive for heavy media editing (as your main "current work" drive), TRIM will more than likely be beneficial.

Even though you opened this thread ages ago, the tweaks I've done are disable the Sudden Motion Sensor, turned off drive sleep, and turned off drive saving when sleeping the system (completely unnecessary with Lion to be honest, merely added convenience).

10. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Sudden motion sensor is designed to save a HDD from a fall/shock by actually stopping the drive's motion if it senses an incoming impact, right? Therefore, it really won't do much on a SSD would it? How do we disable this?

11. lamboman macrumors 6502

Yep, pretty much exactly that, and is of course completely unnecessary for the SSD.

Code:
    sudo pmset -a sms 0
    to disable.

Code:
    sudo pmset -g
    to check if the setting has stuck.

12. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Does this mean much given the HDD has been replaced?
    "Warning: Idle sleep timings for "Battery Power" may not behave as expected.
    - Disk sleep should be non-zero whenever system sleep is non-zero."

13. lamboman macrumors 6502

Don't worry, ignore those warnings, they come up whenever you change pmset settings.

14. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Thanks! :)