Configurations

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Phoenixy, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Phoenixy macrumors newbie

Hi guys

I'm getting a 15 inch MacBook pro and would like to find out which one of the following specific BTO options are worth it

Well first of all I heard the ram option is overcharged by apple and I should probably buy it somewhere else and install it myself, but I don't know any of this opening laptops stuff and all that. Is the 4th really worth it and is the installation absolutely simple?

Another option was the hi res screen, I heard it may have some issues with text so for that price I probably should stick to the default glossy one.

A major thought has been ssd though, I heard it speeds up a lot with it but I'm no expert on this stuff, buy heard about sata 3 and was wondering about buying a sata 3 ssd outside and installing it only if its simple enough. I was considering getting the 128 gb ssd as I don't do much major media stuff on the laptops, mostly surfing, writing reports and a bit of gaming (2-3 games?) so maybe although I heard apple ssd are really low grade compared to outside ones. Otherwise, if I'm just getting a hdd from apple would the 500 gb 7200 rps or 750 gb 5200 rps be better, especially since I dont do a lot of video editing and all that stuff.

Thanks!

2. un.titled macrumors regular

I would hold off on the Apple SSD and invest in a Sata-III (if you honestly need an SSD).

I personally recommend the hi-res screen. Unless you're like a couple of the forum members here who suffer from Glaucoma, everything is a lot sharper and crisper.

Third party ram is the way to go.

3. Phoenixy thread starter macrumors newbie

Just wondering, how useful is an ssd really anyway?
    And should I get the glossy or matte hi res screen?
    I think I'll opt for the 500gb 7200 rps then since 500gb seems like enough space.

4. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

It really seems as if you wouldnt need any upgrades at all from the base configurations for your need. Maybe not even the ram upgrade unless your going to be working on a bunch of papers with lots of inter tabs open.

5. un.titled macrumors regular

For the average user, it only speeds up boot time and application loading. Once the application is loaded, it won't run any faster than an HDD.

If you're using the laptop mainly indoors under normal lights, I would get the glossy. If you're going to be under bright lights or using the laptop outdoors, get the matte. Try to make it that simple of a choice. Also, they will aesthetically look different:

[​IMG]

Glossy with black bezel on left, matte with no black bezel on right.

I would personally stick to HDD until SSD's come down in price and until Apple releases TRIM in the summer.

6. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

TRIM support is present in the 10.6.6 build used on the latest MBP's. :apple:

7. un.titled macrumors regular

Not for third party drives, unless I haven't seen the update on this.

8. mike2732 macrumors member

WOW that's actually the best comparison I've ever seen between Anti-Glare and Glossy. I've seen videos and much more, but nobody's pointed out the difference as clear as you have here. If you took that yourself I would pat yourself on the back right now. XD
    Thanks

9. un.titled, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

un.titled macrumors regular

The image is from Tom's Hardware, but I'm glad it could help you out.

Here are a couple more:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

------------------------------------------------
    High - Normal resolution comparison.

[​IMG]

Hi-resolution screen left (notice how everything is smaller, and more of the webpage is displayed), normal resolution screen right.

More:

[​IMG]

10. un.titled macrumors regular

11. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

I understand that it is preference. I still don't understand how people like the glassy screen. In bright light or sitting behind a window that the screen is like a mirror. I hate it but that's just me. Anti Glare any day thanks.:)

12. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

LMAO! All I see on the left one is a tree! Oh, but the colors are SO MUCH more vivid! Even though you can't see them!

13. zenio macrumors 6502

Yes it is.

In addition it supports the latest 240GB OCZ Vertex 3, I just installed in my new 15" hi-res, anti-glare, 8GB equipped MBP.

As long as I had it torn down I decided to go all the way, further disassembling it to remove the sloppy application of far too much thermal paste. After a complete cleaning I applied Arctic Silver Ceramique appropriately.

Wow, what a difference. I knew it was running warm, but after the work I did the difference is shocking. It's too bad Apple does such a terrible job on this nice of a laptop.

The OEM SSD was fast, but now with the Vertex it's really a rocket.

In a word, I'm Thrilled.

14. baxnet macrumors member

baxnet

Do all of the glossy screens have the black bezel? I have an AG (silver bezel) and just thought it was the look of the 2011 MBPs. That's pretty strange that they'd make them different like that.

15. un.titled macrumors regular

The black bezel is a one piece screen overlay which makes the screen glossy.

16. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

Is the vertex 3 for sale online anywhere?

17. baxnet macrumors member

baxnet

So we're being charged more to not have a component installed prior to delivery? That sounds like a blatant waste of money on Apple's part.

18. un.titled macrumors regular

I could be wrong though ;)