Configure Dual Boot Lab Question

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by teren, May 12, 2011.

1. teren macrumors newbie

We have moved to primarily dual boot iMacs in our campus computer labs, but are looking for an automated way to recreate the "student" use side from a protected "master" side.

What I mean is that they currently re-image the machines on a regular basis to remove any junk etc. that may have been left by student use on the machines.

So what I would ideally like to do is to have a cloned master PC (Windows 7) and cloned master Mac (OSX 10.6) at 2 separate partitions on the hard drive and also a student use PC and student use Mac partition that the clones would install the OS, apps, etc. from on an automated basis.

What I am envisioning then is a 4 partition on the iMac hard drive.
    Partition 1 - Mac OSX 10.6 plus Office, etc. master
    Partition 2 - the one that would be re-imaged on, e.g., a monthly cycle, preferably automatically on a set schedule, using Partition 1 Mac master
    Partition 3 - Windows 7 plus Office, etc. master
    Partition 4 - the one that would be re-imaged on, e.g., a monthly cycle, preferably automatically on a set schedule, using Partition 3 Win master

Is this doable, and if so, what would I need to do it? Any cautions, alternative advice, etc.?

2. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

I'm not going to comment on the best way to backup and restore everything up (If you were only running Windows, I would have suggested VHD containers seeing as Win7 can actually boot from them now).

Anyway, Windows might have trouble with >4 Primary Partitions because of the emulated MBR type setup. Just installing OS X and Windows 7 creates 4 partitions right off the bat (EFI, OS X, System Reserved and Windows Partition).

See This: http://replay.web.archive.org/20090...he-intel-mac-partitioning-system-efi-and-gpt/