Configure Static IP4 addresses on Airport Extreme?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by m4dm4n, Oct 24, 2011.

1. m4dm4n macrumors newbie

Oct 24, 2011
    Melbourne, AUS
    Hi All,

Long time forum stalker (even before I switched to Macs), first time poster.

Just wondering if there's a way to make the Airport Extreme always give my wireless/wired devices the same IP address? My NAS picks up a new address every other time it reboots which is irritating for finding it on the network and making changes, and usually my wireless devices pickup a new address if they've been away on another network and come back...

The AE has been rock-solid since I bought it about a year ago - never skips a beat - but even the cheap dodgy router it replaced had this feature (assign IP address to particular MAC addresses).

I thought about the possibility of running a DNS service on my NAS but if the NAS is always changing it's stripes as well then it makes things a little tricky... I'm far from being able to call myself a network engineer so any help would be much appreciated.

P.S. I did search the forum but only found this old thread which didn't have an answer:

Google wasn't much help either... I found one can set the IP address of the router itself but not connecting devices.
  2. scarred macrumors 6502a

Jul 24, 2011
    The keywords you are looking for are "DHCP Reservation"... then your google search will work. Basically you are still going to have a dynamically allocated IP address via DHCP, but you'll tell the airport extreme to always give certain devices the same one.
  3. m4dm4n thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 24, 2011
    Melbourne, AUS
    Ah... Now I know why I can't find the feature... It's disabled when you're using the AE in bridge mode, which I am. I'll have to motivate my housemate to set this up on his router.

Thanks for the tip!
  4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Jan 14, 2008
    You can set it to "Distribute a range of IP addresses" and still use DHCP without having to worry about double NAT.