Configure/Upgrade Macbook Air in Retail Store?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Liam18, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Liam18 macrumors newbie

Hi there, I'm not sure if there's already a thread addressing this so apologies in advance if that is the case.

I'm planning on purchasing the new Macbook Air next month but I've been considering upgrading the RAM to 8GB. I know you can do this online but does Apple stock these configured laptops in their retail stores as well? I'm hoping that the BTS deal will have started by the end of July when I plan to purchase it, so I was hoping that I'd be able to get the upgraded MBA + the BTS freebie.
    Additionally, I heard that you can get their AppleCare cover a lot cheaper as a student but this deal can only be found in-store, so that's another reason why I'm wanting to know if it's possible to get an upgraded system in the retail store.

Thank you :)

2. Mr_Brightside_@, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013

Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

The stores tend to only carry the two 'base' models available online, in addition to a third, 'ultimate' model with all specs maxed: this version would have 8 GB, but also a 512 SSD, so would carry a higher price tag. If you're in the States, you should be able to order online and have it delivered to a retail store. If you're shopping on the online education store, you should be able to get discounted AppleCare. Just checked, you can.

3. Liam18 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah thanks a lot. That's disappointing. I'm in the UK though :/
    And when I was in store a few months ago, the sales assistant said I could get AppleCare for ~£50, but on their online education store it's priced as £157.20 :(

4. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

You can also get BTS online, I believe. Just order there.
    £50 simply sounds wrong.

5. irDigital0l Guest

Currently there is no BTS promotion, only a $50 education pricing discount for the new MBA.

6. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Yes I just meant in general.

7. Liam18, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013

Liam18 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh I wasn't aware that the BTS promotion was online also.
    And I'm only saying what the sales rep told me. She said that the normal AppleCare was ~£200 and students got a great saving, getting it for ~£50.
    If it was much more than that, I wouldn't have taken any notice. I don't usually purchase extended warranties, but for that price and for three years I thought it might be worthwhile investing in.

Edit: I've been doing some googling and found this on one of the old threads on here. They were talking about the AppleCare and apparently students get it for £48 through the HE Contract, though I believe it's only applicable to UK customers. I got a link too. If you scroll to the bit for AppleCare you'll see the price.
    http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_5000710/configure/MD101B/A?

Double Edit: Apparently the 3 year insurance via the HE Contract is actually free! It includes a warranty of "36 calendar months in relation to all current Apple-branded desktop and portable computer Goods only" and "the telephone support service included in the Apple Warranty for Apple-branded desktop and portable computer Goods only shall be extended to one year from the date of purchase (the date of invoice) or up to one year from the date of first use..."

It would seem that the £48 is actually to extend the telephone support service to three years.

Here's a copy of the T&Cs for the HE Contract in case I'm missing something, but it would seem as though we're paying for a warranty that's actually free:
    http://store.apple.com/Catalog/uk/Images/salespolicies_institutionHE.html