Configuring 8GB Ram on 8 Core Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by scouser75, Sep 3, 2009.

1. scouser75 macrumors 6502a

Guys, I need your advice again please.

I'm going for 8GB of Ram on my 8 Core 2.26 MP.

What would be the best way to configure / install the Ram?

I understand from another thread - but for a Quad MP - that each slot has to be utilised for optimum benefit.

Thanks

2. jlasoon macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat, I need to upgrade the ram in my 8 core 2.26 ASAP. The current stock configurations are laughable if you're doing anything remotely productive in Final Cut Studio. Compressor is absolutely crippling my system right now :D.

I'm not here to hijack your thread, but I just need suggestions on either 10-12 or 16 gigs. I don't think I need 32 just yet.:eek:

3. scouser75 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jlasoon not hijacking at all :) it's good to get the extra knowledge.

I understand that ram should be installed in 3's. But this would be a tad difficult with 8gb!!

4. jlasoon macrumors 6502

I understand the bit about installing the ram in 3's but I'm still going to try a few things. I just ordered 4x2gb of ram, I'll add those and leave some of the singles in there for a total of 12gb.

It's funny, I've had my pro for about 1 month now and I finally decided just yesterday to do some heavy video encoding using compressor. I managed to compress 20 episodes of Dexter (BluRay) for the AppleTV in about 18 hours. CPU was at about 70% and RAM was at 99% :D. This machine is pretty impressive, I just need more ram.

5. MADMAXX macrumors member

I custom configed to 8 when I ordered knowing that I was upgrading to 12. Here is my current config layout. Hope it helps.
    Dimm 1 2G
    Dimm 2 2G
    Dimm 3 2G
    Dimm 4
    Dimm 5 2G
    Dimm 6 2G
    Dimm 7 2G
    Dimm 8

This is Apples approved config. For 8 gig 3 and 7 were empty