Configuring a Cisco switch on a Mac

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yg17, Aug 26, 2007.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'm studying for my CCNA and thought it might be a good idea to pick up a Cisco switch to mess around with. 2900's are pretty cheap on eBay. The only thing that I'm a bit concerned about is configuring it, at least the initial configuration. The switches plug into a serial port, which obviously a Mac (and probably most PCs nowadays) don't have. Once I set up the initial config, I can telent into it which isn't a problem (unless I hose something and lose network connectivity), but it's the initial configuration that I'm sure about.

Has anyone succeeded in setting one up on a Mac, using a USB->Serial adapter? If so, which adapter do you have, and what software did you use to console in? Thanks

2. Mumford macrumors regular

Here's a link to an older thread about this. It's the adaptor I use and has instructions on how to set it up.

3. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Awesome, thanks.

I picked up a Belkin USB-Serial adapter at Staples today (probably a bit prematurely since I wasn't too sure if it would work) but now it looks like I'm set. I just need the switch to get here.