Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jordansampson

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
edmonton
Hello, im new here and this is my first apple computer. I have long wanted one but could not justify buying it while my laptop worked sufficiently. Thankfully it broke this year. I was getting ready to buy a new shiny Macbook pro, but I started to think otherwise. Im a student finishing my first degree this year; I have another four years after this for my PhD. So, instead of buying a laptop that would be hard/impossible for me to upgrade in the next 4-5 years, I am going to buy a desktop that I can upgrade as I need.

So my question is how much noise will the ATI video card add to the computer? Does anyone yet have one with the ATI in it that can tell me? As well, will the noise only be a problem when I am using graphic intense games/programs? Or will the fan be in a constant state of “piss Jordan off with needless noise”? One more question: is the stock sound card 5.1 compatible? If not is there anyway I can change the soundcard?

Sorry if these questions seem a bit easy, like I said im new to the wonderful Mac world and I just want to get it right instead of wishing I asked more questions at the start.

Thank you

CyberPrey

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2006
IGH, MN
Well, I don't have the X1900 in my Mac Pro yet, but I >DO< have Dual 7800GTX's on my Windoze rig... the fans on the vid cards are adjustable rate fans... when I game the fans speed up.. when it is idle, or just doing the everyday websurfing they run fairly slow. either way, I have never heard them get to the point where the noise would bother me.

On its own, the Mac Pro is one of the absolute quietest computers I have ever heard for its size and power. I was shocked when I first turned it on.. I thought it was DOA because it didn't sound like a Harrier Jet on verticle takeoff....

on the sound card.. compatible with what?

jordansampson

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
edmonton
i mean will i be able to plug my 5.1 stereo speakers into it and have all the speakers function proper rather than only in stereo.

Is there anything else i should know about changing to mac?

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
jordansampson said:
i mean will i be able to plug my 5.1 stereo speakers into it and have all the speakers function proper rather than only in stereo.
It doesn't come with a "sound card" per se, Macs always come with integrated audio. The Mac Pro comes with optical digital audio Toslink ports, so if you have digital 5.1 speakers they will work.

Water cooling the ATI card almost certainly voids the warranty, I would think.

debrey

macrumors regular
May 4, 2006
Chicago
Two things:

One, I love Mac -- I've just recently switched. But OSX is hungry for Ram. Make sure you get a fair amount.

Second, I've been a grad student for... er... a long time. And I've found having a portable incredibly useful. First of all, no need to fight for a computer in your shared office/ computer lab/whatever. Second, grad students often don't have much living space. Plus, you might want to go work in a cafe or some such. Anyway, I'd just make sure it is worth it to you.

-- David

jordansampson

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
edmonton
i thought about that, i plan on using my laptop for those limited times i need them. Just cant use the CDrom. Anyway, anyone have an idea of the level of noise level?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.