Configuring Airport Extreme Base Station - first time

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by GtotheK, Jun 22, 2009.

1. GtotheK macrumors member

Hi all,
    This is my first post, love the site...I'll apologize in advance for these novice questions

I'll be setting up the new AEBS dual band in my new apt. I have the 2.4 GHZ Macbook and my fiancee has a Compaq desktop PC running Vista.

My question is how should I configure the network and AEBS?

Do I need to install the Airport DVD on the Compaq and my macbook?

She doesn't have a wireless card on her computer, so should I set up the network initially on my macbook, or does this not matter? The ethernet cable will have to be hardwired to her computer and the AEBS, but I just think setting up the network the first time would be easier on my macbook..

Any suggestions? Once again, I apologize if these are really stupid questions.

2. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Welcome to the forum! :)

As far as your questions:

1. Her PC will work fine with an AEBS (so far the best router I've ever owned/used).
    2. If you plan on sharing network resources (i.e. sharing drives) you will need to install Bonjour (on DVD and Apple's website).
    3 I would use your MBP to connect and setup the router - once you've done that you should be able to plug in your wife's PC with no issues.

Hope that helps!

3. GtotheK thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info

As for shared network resources. She has an HP printer (not sure the model off hand) that has wireless printing capabilities. Do I need to plug the printer USB into the AEBS to wirelessly print from my macbook? If I do this, she doesn't have a wireless card on her PC, but I guess the PC could still "see" the printer thru the AEBS? Or could I just pick up the printer on the wireless network and leave it hardwired to the PC?