Configuring an extended AirPort Extreme network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by troop231, Dec 26, 2014.

1. troop231 macrumors 603

I have a question to see if this is possible, I will be setting up a network with 3 AirPort Extremes soon running ethernet cable to connect each one. I'm aware that the main router needs to be in the default DHCP mode, and the 2 others need to be in extended mode.

What I don't know is if it's possible to use the 2nd (middle) router to extend the 1st router to the 3rd. Apple's image shows that you need to run the cables from the main router, which will require alot more cabling:

[​IMG]

What I would like to know is if my image below is possible, thereby eliminating the need to have another cable go back to the 1st router:

[​IMG]

A. is the main router, B. and C. being set in extended mode.

I appreciate your help!

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Will it work? Yes.

However, if this is in an environment like an office or school where there is a lot of data on the backplane you should wire it back all the way.

3. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

What will the difference be in terms of performance/speed by doing it the bottom image way compared to the way Apple says to do it image?

4. iphoneuserinyyz macrumors member

I noticed that you have indicated that the Ethernet cables from the main router are connected to the WAN port on the other routers (the ones that are extending the network). I believe that the cable need to be connected to one of the LAN ports on the other routers.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If this is a home environment I can guarantee you probably won't ever see a difference. Another option would be to install a Gigabit switch which gets connected to a LAN port on the first Extreme and connects to the WAN port on the second and third Extreme. Running a double layer 2 bridge is usually not an issue however.

6. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

Please disregard that in the photos, I was doing a quick mockup and forgot those were the WAN.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

No. The cable must go from a LAN port on the first Extreme to the WAN port on the other Extremes. Some other routers require you to plug into LAN ports when being used as access points.

8. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

It's an office environment with seldom off and on use throughout the week. I'll probably end up doing it the more professional way and just run the extra length of wire back to the 1st AirPort and not have to worry about it in the future.

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Keep in mind not to go over 100m per run of Ethernet cabling and keep it away from electrical. Do not go over fluorescent lights and if you must go over an electrical wire try to cross it perpendicularly.

I actually have a lot of experience in this set up. I run the network at my high school which serves 150+ clients each day. It was my Eagle Scout project so they just have me manage and maintain it.