Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
I’ll be configuring our new iPad Air 4 via a “clean install” after it gets here. I plan to back it up to our late 2014 Mini before and after I download/install the 3rd party apps. What USB-C to USB cable/adapter do you use/recommend for both fast charging and backing up an iPad Air 4?

GetRealBro

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
The one that comes in the box is a USB-C <-> USB-C cable. Late 2014 Minis only have 4 - USB 3 and 2 - Thunderbolt 2 ports.

2014 Mini.png

So backing up an iPad Air 4 to our late 2014 Mini will require a different cable or an adapter. Hence my question.

GetRealBro

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Getrealbro, any Usb C to Usb A cable will work. I used the cable from my Fiio music player to sync my Air 4 to my 2015 MacBook pro and it worked just fine. If you have anyone in your house hold who has a newer Android phone, then they will most likely use a USB C to A cable, although some of them are USB C to USB C which is no good for you. Otherwise you will just have to buy a cheap one from Amazon.

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
I’m sorry, I didn’t read correctly.
No worries.

I’ve ordered these USB-C to USB-A cables

Hopefully they will allow us to backup our new iPad Air 4 to our 2014 Mini AND keep the iPad Air charged, while on the road, using the USB-A ports in our X5 and AirStream.

GetRealBro

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
After the Air arrived, I began the “clean” configuration and backups. It came with iPadOS 14.1. So after a minimal configure (iCloud passwords, iOS settings, etc) I updated to iPadOS 14.2. Then backed the Air up to our 2014 Mini using this USB-C -> USB adapter. I like the way this tiny adapter can become part of a USB-C cable or become part of a USB hub.

The Mini is running Catalina 10.15.7. When I plugged the Air into the Mini, this vague warning popped up...
iPad Warning.png
I clicked on “Not Now” and the Air mounted and showed up in the Finder anyway.

FWIW I’m growing increasing annoyed by Apple’s nagging about not installing the latest OS, despite reported problems that haven’t been fixed yet. Our Apple TV’s nightly TVOS14 nags, e.g. when we have just paused a show to go get a beer, has encouraged me to investigate non-Apple streaming products :(

GetRealBro

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.