Configuring for 2 HDs and 2 OSs

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Tokend, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Tokend macrumors newbie

I'm looking to order a new mac pro, but I'm new to Apple and find myself uncertain how to configure the HDs. I'm going to order a machine with two HDs, and I'd like to run Vista 64-bit via bootcamp.

(1) Can Vista run from a second HD?

(2) Can OS X and Vista see each other's partitions?

(3) If not, how does one share data between the two OSs?

(4) In general, is one of these scenarios "better" than the others?
    (a) Both OSs on the first HD; data partitions for both OSs on the second HD
    (b) One HD for each OS and its data partitions
    (c) Doesn't matter; create partitions where needed

Answers to these questions go to the HDs that I order. For example, if (4a) is a good way to go, then I might configure one 320 GB HD for the OSs and one 1 TB HD for the data. If (4b) makes more sense, then I might configure two 750 GBs.

Thanks very much for any guidance. I'm really looking forward to my very first Mac.

2. Jonny427 macrumors regular

1) Yes you can have 1HD run OSX and 1HD run Windows. You choose this in the bootcamp setup assistant.

2) OSX can read off both NTFS and FAT formatting for Windows, but Windows can not read off OSX in bootcamp (to the best of my knowledge, I may be wrong here)

3) If my #2 assumption is correct, then just use a USB key or the internets :)

4) Use B, its the simplest.

My mac pro has 3x500GB drives. 1 is OSX + its stuff, 2 is Windows + its stuff, 3 is my time machine backup for drive 1.

3. Tokend thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Jonny. Very helpful. Good idea to have a built-in backup.

Not a huge deal if not, but I wonder if Time Machine can be used to backup Windows partitions?

4. OZMP macrumors 6502

1. Yes
    2. Osx cant write to the Windows drive, i use VMware on my partition when i need to move files accross, this is a great setup, but drains ram.
    3. VMware Fusion
    4. I had both OS's on the one disk, now i have OSX on a 500gb 7200.11(Seagate barracuda, 3gb/s, 32mb cache) and it flys, and have XP on the old bootdisc, i had viruses on xp, so i felt better having seperate drives, and it is also more convienient.

cheers