Configuring for Email

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cokids, Jul 25, 2008.

1. cokids macrumors member

I am having problems getting iTouch configured for email. I have all the info filled in correctly, I believe, but it still will not access my email. I have incoming and outgoing info filled in along with username and password.

I tried to find an Apple support #, but didn't see one in the skimpy literature that comes w/ the device. Any suggestions?

I've already called my satellite company. (It's a POP3 server, so should be pretty straightforward, right?) When I called, the satellite company gave me incoming and outgoing port numbers, but there's nowhere on the device where this kind of info is asked for. Suggestions?

2. Luminator macrumors member

Try:
    pop3.<server>.com:port# e.g. pop3.live.com:995
    smpt.<server>.com:port# e.g. smtp.live.com:465

3. cokids thread starter macrumors member

I've talked with my provider as well as Apple. NO one can figure out why it isn't working. I was told that port #'s are different in each geographic area and changing them will not help. I was advised to download the next version...I am running version 1.1.4 and there's a 1.1.5 version short of 2.0. I tried to download 2.0 but was unable to access the itunes server.

Oh, well, I'll call Apple again today. Geesh! Just my luck!!

Beth

4. cokids thread starter macrumors member

Update and Thoughts

Ok, after some pretty intensive particpation on another board, I have a few thoughts on this issue. First of all, I am reading that people with the same problem often can access wifi from public places, but not at home. If that's the case, it suggests a wifi issue...perhaps some setting in the hardware?

Then someone tells me that it's probably a software issue; I can either install a newer version (1.1.5 or 2.0) OR I can restore my Touch to refresh the software. I will try this when I go to the library tomorrow. Hopefully, it will fix the problem, but only time will tell.

Beth