Configuring iMac purchase..

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ijlakw, Sep 3, 2014.

1. ijlakw macrumors member

OK... in a previous thread I said I would never buy another iMac. Well... boss walks in this morning.... says buy a couple of new 27" iMacs.

So.... I have not spent any time looking at Yosemite. In anticipation of that...
    Am I buying 8GB RAM and a 512GB SSD or 16GB RAM and 256GB SSD?

Thanks in advance.

2. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

1. Yosemite doesn't raise minimum system requirements from Mavericks, which didn't raise minimum system requirements from Mountain Lion.

2. That being said, if you're buying 27" iMacs, I'd be smart about the purchase and order them with the minimum amount of RAM as the RAM is (a) user-upgradable, (b) at least 50% cheaper when you buy aftermarket from Crucial or Kingston or the like; from there, buy kits to either max them out at 32GB or bump them to 16GB as that is way more cost-effective and gets you the same end result. Of note, if you were ordering 21.5" iMacs, my advice would be the opposite (i.e. max it out at 16GB which is the highest that Apple will allow) since RAM is no longer user-replacable on those models.

3. I'm assuming storage capacity is of no concern and that you're already sold on not getting a Fusion Drive or a Hard Drive and I'm not necessarily discouraging that. I will say that if you don't plan on doing anything crazy with formatting or partitioning with your boot drive, that a Fusion Drive DOES get you the best of both worlds. But if you do want to do anything crazy with formatting and/or partitioning, it very quickly becomes a major pain. Otherwise, SSD capacity is more subjective; do you need more storage? If so, then buy more storage.

4. Don't discount the CPU or the GPU options. If you're going to be doing a lot of 3D rendering and/or video work, you'll probably want a Core i7. Otherwise a Core i5 will be sufficient. Similarly, unless you're gaming, you probably don't need the GTX 780M, though I'd probably at least opt for the GTX 775M as that's much closer to desktop graphics performance than the GT 755M which is much closer to standard laptop graphics performance, but again, those needs are subjective as well.

Hope that helps.

3. Rud3Bwoy Suspended

Rud3Bwoy

go 8gb buy ram from crucial and get the 512gb ssd much cheaper.

4. lookatchu macrumors regular

lookatchu

Unless you plan on storing tons of media on the drives, I would definitely go with 16GB RAM and 256 SSD. As a matter of fact I was faced with that decision about weeks ago and went with my suggestion and typing from that iMac right now. I believe I made the right choice.

5. Duke Mac macrumors newbie

I went with 8GB Ram and 512GB SSD. You can never have enough hard drive space if they can afford it. You can always add the additional Ram later on.
    Good Luck!

6. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

On the 27" iMacs you can upgrade the RAM after purchase. Crucial.com has a lot cheaper memory than Apple does. You will not be able to upgrade the internal hard drive.

If you are worried you may need the storage at some point, go with the larger hard drive, less RAM, and order some extra RAM from crucial.

If you have no need for more hard drive space and don't want to mess with ordering 3rd party RAM and installing it then just go with the lesser hard drive and more RAM directly from Apple.

7. HDJulie macrumors demi-goddess

If you upgrade the RAM yourself, does that void the warranty?

8. Confusius macrumors regular

No: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1423

Although on a 21" it might, since the RAM isn't user removable on that machine.