Configuring iMac with SSD + HDD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Homer Jay, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Homer Jay macrumors newbie

Hi everyone.

Can someone help me understand how to configure my iMac with SSD+ HDD for the best performance...i.e.

How do I keep all my applications and preferences on the SSD for the performance but store user folders (Music, Pictures etc) on the HDD.

Thanks.

:confused:

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

My understanding is that the SSD/HDD will be pre-configured with everything on the SSD, and the HDD will be empty. From there... it will be up to you to configure applications like your iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, Aperture3 etc to point to the HDD for their individual libraries. It is a fairly straightforward thing to do in most cases.

There is some chance that Apple will adopt caching technology at some point. If that happened, then a likely scenario would be that the SSD/HDD would be configured as a single volume... and the system would automatically migrate often used data to the SSD, while the larger and less used information would be on the HDD. This would allow for a highly tuned system that effectively provides the performance of an SSD, with the capacity of an HDD... all automatically.

/Jim

3. Homer Jay thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas