Configuring Internal HD

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dougk, Aug 6, 2008.

1. dougk macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I am trying to convert from a PC to a Mac. I just picked up a Mac Pro partitioned the primary HD, 50/50. to run boot camp. In the remaining bays I have 2-1 TB drives. What is the best way to format/configure these drives to work with both Windows and Mac files? When in windows, I would like to read/write to pc files and conversely read/write pc files when running the Mac os.

Thanks

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

OSX cannot natively read NTFS. So you will not be able to easily share drives without possibly buying additional software as I recall.

Do a search in the Windows section of these forums, I have seen this question get asked quite a few times.

3. dougk thread starter macrumors newbie

I am sure the answer is in these forumns, my question is broad and the rabbit holes are long.

Do you recal the name of the software?

4. blownco macrumors regular

blownco

you dont need any additional software other than what came with your drives load the software on the windows side and the os X side will see it no problem thats what i had to do.

5. 204467 macrumors 6502a

If you want to read/write on both of the drives using both operating systems, format the drives in FAT32 (or MS-DOS as Disk Utility calls it). I think Disk Utility is in the Applications folder; open it and select the drive you want to format, select the format, then click okay. I'm sure there's someone here who can explain it better; in fact, I would wait for one of those people to come along and do so, seeing as I've never done that before.

6. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

He's talking about 1TB drives, FAT32 won't cut it.

7. 204467 macrumors 6502a

See? I told him there was someone more knowledgeable than me!

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

OP : Have a looking the MacRumors Guides (checkk the Guides tab at the top of the window)

I have updated the Mac Hardware : Hard Drives guide with more information on partitioning and formatting. (other members are welcome to correct and add to that info)

9. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Ooh, so FAT32 would work since he would do it outside of Windows. Excellent. Of course, we would run into the permission issues, file limitation, etc. :eek:

10. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

MacFUSE ( http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23729/macfuse ) is the open source software that removes the limitation of writing to NTFS volumes when using the Mac OS (when used in conjuction with NTFS-3G- http://macntfs-3g.blogspot.com/ ). The Mac OS natively can read from NTFS volumes but on its own lacks the ability to write to them.

This free combination removes that limitation and works like a charm from my experience though of course YMMV.

11. dougk thread starter macrumors newbie

Great info! Thank you so much. MacFuse sounds like the perfect solution. There is additional info on MacFuse at youtube - cnet has a good review.