Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tirefire

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
Hey guys,

I have a Mac and PC on my home LAN and want to set them up to share files.

I've already got it so I can access my user folder from my PC and my PC's disks from my Mac. What I'm really after, though, is the ability to be able to read/write all of my Mac's contents from the PC; to not just be limited to my user folder.

I've poked around in the System Preferences and all for a little while without success. Any ideas?

Schroedinger

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2004
Baltimore, MD
Have you turned windows sharing on (in the mac's preferences)? It should be pretty straightforward. i would also suggest doing a search in these forums, this topic seems to come up a lot.

Good luck.

elisha cuthbert

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Melbourne
tirefire said:
Hey guys,

I have a Mac and PC on my home LAN and want to set them up to share files.

I've already got it so I can access my user folder from my PC and my PC's disks from my Mac. What I'm really after, though, is the ability to be able to read/write all of my Mac's contents from the PC; to not just be limited to my user folder.

I've poked around in the System Preferences and all for a little while without success. Any ideas?
what ive done at home is, i got the ip address of the mac from the sharing stuff in System prefs and Windows sharing and set up a network place on the pc and thats how i access it if I have to use the PC

tirefire

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
The thing is, I can access my Mac from my PC, but I am limited to my Mac account's user directory - I can't access anything on my Mac's external hard drive or anything outside of my user directory on my main disk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.