Configuring Mac-PC Networking

tirefire

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
Hey guys,

I have a Mac and PC on my home LAN and want to set them up to share files.

I've already got it so I can access my user folder from my PC and my PC's disks from my Mac. What I'm really after, though, is the ability to be able to read/write all of my Mac's contents from the PC; to not just be limited to my user folder.

I've poked around in the System Preferences and all for a little while without success. Any ideas?

Schroedinger

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2004
Baltimore, MD
Have you turned windows sharing on (in the mac's preferences)? It should be pretty straightforward. i would also suggest doing a search in these forums, this topic seems to come up a lot.

Good luck.

elisha cuthbert

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Melbourne
tirefire said:
Hey guys,

I have a Mac and PC on my home LAN and want to set them up to share files.

I've already got it so I can access my user folder from my PC and my PC's disks from my Mac. What I'm really after, though, is the ability to be able to read/write all of my Mac's contents from the PC; to not just be limited to my user folder.

I've poked around in the System Preferences and all for a little while without success. Any ideas?
what ive done at home is, i got the ip address of the mac from the sharing stuff in System prefs and Windows sharing and set up a network place on the pc and thats how i access it if I have to use the PC

tirefire

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
The thing is, I can access my Mac from my PC, but I am limited to my Mac account's user directory - I can't access anything on my Mac's external hard drive or anything outside of my user directory on my main disk.