Configuring Mac Pro with MacBook Pro Migration and Windows XP Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by stevejs2, Nov 3, 2010.

1. stevejs2 macrumors newbie

I just purchased a new Mac Pro (early 2009 Quad Core" 2.66 (2009/Nehalem), and a second (1GB) internal hard drive. I would like to transfer my the applications, files, and profile from my Macbook Pro (early 2008 Core 2 Duo" 2.5) to the Mac Pro. I also want to install with Boot Camp Windows XP Pro (SP3) on a separate hard drive. I want the XP drive to be the 640 GB hard drive that came with the Mac Pro, and the MacOS drive to be the added 1GB hard drive. I want the Windows drive to have 4 logical partitions ( C, D, E, and F) with the C, D, and E being NTFS (so they can exceed 32GB) and, F drive being FAT (for read/write compatibility with MacOS). I've been doing a fair amount of reading both on this forum and elsewhere, and think I have good plan to accomplish the setup. But, a lot of what I'm planning to do is new to me. So, before executing my plan, I wanted to get some feedback from the experts on this forum as to whether my plan is a good one, or needs some modification. Here are my planned steps:

1. Turn on the new Mac Pro computer but don't transfer and applications or files - just check to make sure that the computer is working properly.
    2. Turn off computer and install second hard drive and RAM upgrade.
    3. Turn on the computer and transfer applications and files from my Macbook Pro to the Mac Pro using Migration Assistant (located in the applications, utility folder). Connect the computers using Firewire 800 (9 pin to 9 pin cable). I currently don't have such a cable, but from what I have read the migration can be very, very slow if done using the ethernet network or a USB-2 cable. I've got about 200 GB on my Macbook Pro so I assume that the Firewire cable is the only sensible way to go (if people think I'm wrong let me know - I'ld like to save the cost of the Firewire cable if I can accomplish the transfer another way without it taking way too long).
    4. Test the system to see that the applications are working and check that the data files have been transferred.
    5. Download SuperDuper and use it to create a clone of the 640 GB drive on the new 1 GB drive. Make the 1 GB drive the boot drive by choosing it from System Preferences > Startup Disc
    6. Check and make sure the bootup from the 1 GB drive works properly.
    7. Check to make sure the EFI Boot ROM version on the Mac Pro is up to date. If it needs updating, download latest version from Apple support website and install.
    8. Check Apple support for updates to Boot Camp Assistant. Once I have the latest version open Boot Camp Assistant (in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder). Create Boot Camp partition that is the entire 640 GB hard drive.
    9. Insert the Windows XP CD and click Start Installation in Boot Camp Assistant. Select the Boot Camp partition for installation of Windows.
    10. As I begin the Windows install, I'm expecting that I will be offered at the start of the setup process an opportunity to create the 4 separate logical partitions that I want on the 640 GB hard drive. Format the hard drive with the 4 partitions.
    11. Select the partition where I want to put Windows Operating System and follow the Windows setup process to install Windows XP.
    12. Once Windows is installed, eject the Windows disc and insert to Mac OS disc. Install the Boot Camp drivers for Windows.

Sorry, this is so detailed and long winded, but I really want to do things right.

2. RebootD macrumors 6502a

RebootD

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Copy all your files to an external drive, install clean osx and windows via bootcamp. Plug in external drive, move files over.