Configuring macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maple1985, Aug 3, 2009.

1. maple1985 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,
    I have the following requirements to implement in my macbook pro( which i am about to buy)

I have to run follwing 3 in it...
    1. Home XP for personal use (i will start migrating to Mac as fast as i can, but for now I have to live with it)
    2. Office work, XP (always going to be XP , no choice there)
    3. Kubuntu (occasional office and personal study related)

I am buying a refurbished MBP which unfortunately comes with only 320GB. So I have the following options...

1. Upgrade it to 500GB. And allocate 250GB for office and run using bootcamp. And in the Mac partition, i will create a VM and run personal XP and kubuntu from there.

2. Use the 320GB as Mac partition. And use an external hard drive with firewire 800 (oxford 1.5TB 1500GB eSATA~FireWire 800~USB External Hard Drive, available in ebay for $240) and load office XP image and boot from it.

Can you please suggest which one would be better option? (I understand the performance problem running from a external hard drive, but firewire 800 makes it better?) And if you have any alternative suggestions.

Thanks a lot for the help. Appreciate it

2. CompanionCube macrumors regular

CompanionCube

Sounds like you are seriously tied to XP for some reason....Just buy one of those $299 windows laptops and later on buy a Mac when you are ready.

3. 537635 macrumors 6502

Why even bother with bootcamp?

Use some sort of virtual machine, like VirtualBox and run XPs and Kubuntu there.

You can resize the virtual partitions on-the-fly if you need more space.

4. maple1985 thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually office management has prohibited using office domain from VM. (they say they can't trace the account from insdie of the VM)

5. pnyc macrumors 6502

I'd go with your option #1, get a 500GB for $90-120 create a partition for XP and run the Kubuntu via VM from OS X.