Configuring New Airport Extreme 5GHz or no?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by treehorn, Aug 14, 2014.

1. treehorn macrumors 6502

treehorn

I'm wondering if with the most recent Airport Extreme one should create a separate 5Ghz network, or does automatically connect with one's devices in the best possible channel? I ask because I've tried both (having only one network vs having a separate 5Ghz network) and sometimes I notice a difference, sometimes I don't (and sometimes the difference runs the reverse). And curious the best way to set things up (and if it's Time Warner that's the cause of all my headaches or if it's a mix)

Thanks!

2. chabig macrumors 68040

https://www.apple.com/airport-extreme/

"AirPort Extreme features simultaneous dual-band 802.11ac Wi‑Fi. That means it transmits at both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies at the same time. So no matter which band your wireless devices use, they’ll automatically connect to the best available band for the fastest possible performance."

3. treehorn thread starter macrumors 6502

treehorn

That's what I thought (and a search was coming up with all sorts of old information and nothing recent). But as it gives you the option of creating a separate 5Ghz network...

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Some people prefer to separate the bands out. It is perfectly fine to let the AirPort do the work and decide.

5. phositadc macrumors 6502

Devices sometimes make the "wrong choice." For example, maybe the 2.4 N network has a signal strength if -70dB while the 5 Ghz AC network has a strength of -75 dB. The device might choose the 2.4 even if it will connect to it with lower throughput than the 5. In other words, sometimes you are better off connecting to the 5 than the 2.4 even if signal strength is worse on the 5, and the device often cannot figure this out.

6. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Myself, I separate it, and only use 5 ghz band after experiencing my base station using 2.4 Ghz when I really wanted 5 Ghz and this has happened a number of times.

7. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Leave the Airport Extereme to decide is fine, unless you really want everything under your control and monitor.