configuring out a new macbook pro? I know litte to nothing about computers! help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lifeasweknowit, Feb 22, 2012.

1. lifeasweknowit, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2012

lifeasweknowit macrumors newbie

so i am transferring to a different high school and they require me to have a laptop because EVERYTHING is computer based (the teachers dont actually TEACH. but its a great school - i went there last year for ms but i went somewhere else for hs but it totally sucks). PS. the current high school i am attending (the one i am transferring OUT OF) gives us macs for the school year (it isnt ours to keep but they just lend one to use because some of the things there is computer based).

soo anyyyywaaayy! i want to get a macbook, and the school i am TRANSFERRING INTO is extremely small. there is only 3 people in the entire high school. the high school is in the same building as the middle school; just in a secluded room - we even have our own cubicles in one classroom... lol...

so anyway back to the point. i want to get a 13" macbook pro. i have upgraded it to an 8GB (SDRAM) instead of the standard 4GB one. also i am confused on the ATA VS SSD.
    i can either get the basic 750GB ATA or upgrade it to a 128GB SSD.

how much of a difference is there? 750 is way bigger than 128. but i heard SSD was faster cause it has no moving parts? anyway... what should i pick? the 128 SSD or the 750 ATA?

also, not only do i plan to use this for school (notes, research, essays etc) but i also plan to use it for my own enjoyment (youtube, yahoo, skype, facebook, etc)

i heard you could get a plug-in GB space thing? like an extra hardware drive? i dont know though >_<. what can i do if i run out of room? can i upgrade my GB? (lets say i get the 128GB SSD is it possible for me to upgrade someday? to a 200GB ?)

also, at my old school the macbooks are white. but at the new school i am transferring to 2 out of 3 students have a macbook but it is gray with a black keyboard? is this the new or old one? (the gray with black keyboard) also, are there different colored macs? or do i just have to get a cover? thanks! anything else will be greatly appreciated

2. simsaladimbamba, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012

simsaladimbamba

RAM is very expensive via Apple, they charge 200 USD for something you can get yourself for 50 USD. Look below for guide.
    You can get an SSD yourself for less too and put it inside your Mac if you want, again guide below.

An SSD is up to five times faster than a traditional HDD. Look via Google or MetaCrawler for many comparisons between HDDs and SSD.

The Mac you want to get is sufficient for that usage, even any Mac from 2008 will do that.

You could get an external USB or Firewire HDD, either in 2.5" size (mobile) or 3.5" size (desktop).
    What is a Hard Disk Drive (HDD)? - measured in Bytes (B), MegaBytes (MB), GigaBytes (GB) and TeraBytes (TB)
    What Is a Solid State Drive (SSD)?
    Another article about SSD technology

What is a CPU? - measured in MegaHertz (MHz) and GigaHertz (GHz)
    What is RAM? - measured again in MB and GB

There are no MacBooks anymore. Apple discontinued them.
    To see, what Apple actually offers: www.apple.com/mac

MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
    • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
    • 1. Getting a new HDD
    • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
    • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
    • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

3. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

I think you should get a PC if you're not sure what software you will be required to run.

4. lifeasweknowit thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks but NO WAY can i install that by myself. i'd rather not spend OVER 2000$ in ONE day... >_< so you know i would like to save some money when i can

----------

what software? macs are fine - 2 of the people have them and teacher approves of them. i just dont know whether to get the 128GB SSD or the 750GB ATA. or whatever its called. i guess i'll get the 128 SSD, however CAN i upgrade it later on when i need to?

5. simsaladimbamba

That is confusing. You can't do the procedure I linked to on how to upgrade the RAM yourself, which is pretty easy, unless you can't operate a screwdriver, but you want to save some money?
    And why do you need to spend 2000 USD for a base MBP, which costs 1200 USD before taxes?

Yes, you can upgrade your HDD or SSD later, as mentioned in my first reply and I also have linked to some guide on how to do it.
    And when you can upgrade the HDD yourself, RAM is easier, as it involves less screwing.

Ahhhhh.

6. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Yes, both memory and hdd are user replaceable.

7. lifeasweknowit thread starter macrumors newbie

yes plus tax it comes out to nearly 2000$ maybe 1900$ or something. i upgraded from the 4GB SDRAM to the 8GB SDRAM (whatever that is?)

thanks

8. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Given the described uses:

I’d say just look into a Macbook Air. Standard SSD, highly portable, better display vs. the 13” MBP. 4GB should be more than fine, and the few other differences with the 13” MBP I doubt are a factor for the OP (Firewire, GB wired ethernet, optical drive, etc.).

[edit]

I meant to add: most of the uses are simply browser based (youtube/yahoo/facebook/research), plus word processor like iWork/Pages, and maybe a note/organization app like Evernotes. Definitely a good match for an MBA.

9. simsaladimbamba

Again, you want to save money, but are not able to upgrade the RAM yourself?
    You only have to remove ten screws, and that is it.
    But it is your money, even if your post is still confusing.

PS: Looked here yet?

10. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

$2000 for a 13"? What?!

11. techfest macrumors member

ye but apple covers those ssds and stuff if u pre built

12. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Good suggestion. I think the main concern would be the optical drive, but if the OP has no use for that, the Air would be a much better purchase.

13. simsaladimbamba

2,050 USD for 8 GB of RAM + Apple Care Protection Plan and the 2.8 i7 13" MBP I guess.

OP, you don't need that much machine, the 1,199 base 13" MBP will do fine for your stated computational needs.

14. kuhtang macrumors regular

OP:

What everyone is trying to recommend to you is to go with the 4GB RAM and then purchase more RAM from a third party website and install it yourself. You should save ~$150.

But it sounds like you probably won't even need the extra RAM to begin with.

15. simsaladimbamba

And?
    The RAM I can buy via third party is also covered by the party I bought it from. Apple's cover is not worth 150 USD for me any many others.
    While the 128 GB SSD is not as expensive as the 200 USD 8 GB RAM update, I can get better and faster SSDs for 150 USD and less with the same capacity, and they are also covered by the party I bought it from.

It is the OP's money, shall s/he spend it, as s/he wants. I was just confused by this:
    Either s/he wants to spend the money, due to inability to do the upgrades him/herself, or s/he would like NOT to spend that much money and do the upgrades her/himself.

Anyway, as the OP clearly is overwhelmed by all the information here and is not capable of answering that question, I don't frecking care.

16. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Oh okay, then you're set to go.

Usually some schools have some Windows only software that you need to run, but seems this is not the case with you.

I'd buy a base 13" Macbook Pro (as in the cheapest one in the lineup) and be done with it.

You seriously don't sound like you're doing anything intensive with a computer.

17. lifeasweknowit thread starter macrumors newbie

there are always risks when unscrewing a laptop and PUTTING SOMETHING IN IT. you cant just UNSCREW it and all of a sudden there is more ram. you have to install it. i'd rather not. what im saying is, is that i'd rather get what i need now. i dont want to get a slow computer. i dont want to install anything myself, that is honestly pretty dumb - cause i know nothing about computers.

soo yeah. thanks. the total came to about 1947$. should i just get the 4GB SDRAM? will that be too slow? andd later on can i take it to an apple store and upgrade it when i need to?

----------

EDIT: @SIMBA, or whatever your name is. calm down HAHAHHA. i can afford things but i dont want to get it if its unnecessary. k? so calm down haha. no one asked you to get all mad over a simple post because i dont want to unscrew a computer and risk breaking it :)

18. Takashi macrumors regular

I would be bold and just buy a factory standard 13" macbook pro w/o any special configurations. The reason are as follows:

1. The basic machine is more than enough for everyday use. This is one great thing about buying a mac is that the machine is very capable when it comes right out of the box. The extra perks (upgrades) are really for tech people with specific needs and wants. As a student, you don't need SSD drive if you plan to use the computer to take notes.

2. Parts are expensive if purchased from apple as you can get much better prices if the part is purchased elsewhere. You mentioned that you don't know much about computers. My opinion is that if you don't know the benefits of an upgrade (SSD, more RAM, USB stick...etc), don't waste your money on it. You can always get the part later and learn to install it yourself.

3. The purpose of your computer is to help you study. It's not going to be used for any professional work where a lot of horsepower is required. If you plan to use the comp for internet, skype, ...etc, then any $500 PC will be suitable for you.

19. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I think you should go with the 750GB drive and the 4GB of RAM.

In the future you can upgrade both for a lot cheaper than buying it from Apple preconfigured like that.

In my opinion if you go with the 128 SSD you're going to run out space real fast, I can almost guarantee it.

As a young man I'm sure you'll be downloading music, videos and pictures and maybe some games and those files eat up space real fast.

Yes you can use an external drive to keep those files on, but you have to take it with you if you want access to those files when away from home.

I take it that right now you don't feel tech savvy enough to install the SSD and RAM yourself but I'm sure that in the not too distant future you'll be able to do it. Maybe one of your classmates who have a MacBook Pro can even help you.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

20. lifeasweknowit thread starter macrumors newbie

i hace decided to just get the 4GB and 128GB. i probably WILL run out of room buut, i'll just see if i can upgrade it myself... maybe someday. thanks. PS. i might download music, photos and movies but no games.

21. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

So you pretty much didn’t read any of the suggestions about an MBA (vs. a MBP), or going with a conventional (larger capacity) HDD?

22. simsaladimbamba

That is life as we know it.

23. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I don't think Apple stores will install it later for you. I would suggest that you buy the cheapest configuration possible. Buy the parts from newegg or wherever and take it to an authorized Apple retailer where they will charge you a fee to install it. Since they are authorized by Apple, you have nothing to worry about. This method will save you tons more money.

In Philly, we have a place called Springboard Media who will do RAM upgrades for $30 and HDD for $99. So instead of paying $200 for 8GB from Apple, if I were to go to Springboard, I would pay roughly $70 (RAM and labor cost).

24. kuhtang macrumors regular

Well he/she did take to the suggestion of 4GB RAM

lol....

25. lifeasweknowit thread starter macrumors newbie

i did, but why would i do that? i'll get the 4GB ram and then upgrade it to an 8gb ram someday (cause i looked it up and it seems simple) and as for the ssd. i dont know i'll figure it out when i get there. if you are not going to be helpful, dont post anything at all. youre not smarter/ cooler just because you do everything by hand :)