Configuring OWA in Mac: Outlook 2011

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dnaboston, Jul 8, 2011.

1. dnaboston macrumors newbie

If this question and subsequent answer exists somewhere else I apologize. I have searched high and low and most postings get close but then go down a different path.

I would like to access my exchange account via owa - this works like a charm on my iTouch and iPad but cannot get it working on my iMac with either macmail or outlook 2011.

Everywhere else I have this configured, I selected exchange, put in mail.ual.com, username, password and off I went. Cannot get this to work with macmail or outlook 2011.

Help?

Dave

2. slundmark macrumors newbie

Exchange 2003?

Maybe your mailbox is located on an Exchange 2003 server?
    Mac Mail and Outlook 2011 only supports Exchange 2007 and higher.

3. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

OWA uses a web browser to access your Exchange account, not a mail client - I'm confused?

4. Kasalic, Jul 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2011

Kasalic macrumors regular

Your iTouch and iPad will connect using ActiveSync, but your mac won't.

Are you trying to connect whilst connected directly to your network or are you trying to connect remotely?

5. hallelujajordan macrumors newbie

Same problem here. . I want to access my work email using a mail client that can work offline and bought outlook for this but cannot seem to get it to work. Can anyone help ?

6. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

You've given us absolutely no info to go on except you have Outlook as a client. What server? protocol? what error do you get? etc.

7. DrBarryS macrumors newbie

same here

Hello,

I have been looking for a solution for this same problem for a while.

Here is what I know so far:

iPad/iPhone (mobile device) accesses corporate Outlook differently than Mail. I think these devices uses something call Outlook Mobile Access. There is also something I found that is called Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync. I was hoping that Lion's Mail would bring either of these 2 ways together, but so far, that does not appear to be the case.

Anyway, I think that is why we can't access our corporate Outlook via Mail when not directly connected to our corporate network.

So, the question is: is there a way to initiate OMA and/or EAS in Mail? So far I have not found a way. Nor have I found a way with Microsoft Outlook for Mac.

Now, I am not an Outlook knowledgeable person, but here are some other differences I have noticed in the set up of an Outlook account on the mobile device and Mail:
    1. On mobile device, the set up is different than mail, because you have to enter a "domain". Mail does not ask for this.
    2. In Mail one can enter an internal and external server. There is only one entry for the mobile device and it is simply called server.
    3. In Mail there is a place when can enter an "external server path". This is blank, but the one called "internal server path" get filled in automatically when at work on corporate Ethernet.

If anyone with Outlook knowledge can shed light on this, it would be most appreciated.

Barry McCorkle
    drbarrys@mac.com