Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tarsierspectral

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2010
I am almost done installing apps on my new MP hex. I have 120GB SSD as my boot disk, one Caviar Black 1T for data, and one Caviar Black 640GB for data as well. I have 10GB of RAM and the 5870 video card. How should I setup my Photoshop CS5 for best performance? RAM, cache levels, history states, scratch disks, tile size? I know nothing about this.
Thank you

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
sorry :(
I still have a question. That doc does not specify what to use for the scratch disk. In my case, which drive would you use?

You want the fastest drive as a scratch disk... in this case that would be the SSD.

Also you can configure to use more than one drive as scratch disks.

tarsierspectral

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2010
You want the fastest drive as a scratch disk... in this case that would be the SSD.

Also you can configure to use more than one drive as scratch disks.
What would be the benefit of having more than one disk as scratch?

sboerup

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
Yes, the fastest drive possible. But, having more memory and you won't need a scratch.

Honumaui

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
go to digilloyd and grab his test files and run the scratch on each one of your disks ! that is going to be the way to find the fastest ?

my thought it might be the SSD on the boot but if you get a huge image depending on size it might choke up your boot then ? scratch can really fill up sometimes ?

my thought would be just point it at your 1TB drive at first ?

if you have troubles finding his download test files I can go find the link and point you :)

allocate %70 of memory ? according to lloyd no more ? I did some quick tests at higher and I am back down to %70 and am going to do some more tests at %75 and see but I think he is correct in his testing

remember the second you open PS it sets aside scratch !!!! so it is hitting to disc rather you like it or not :)

the new thread thing ? no worries just curious :) heheehh

tarsierspectral

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2010
go to digilloyd and grab his test files and run the scratch on each one of your disks ! that is going to be the way to find the fastest ?

my thought it might be the SSD on the boot but if you get a huge image depending on size it might choke up your boot then ? scratch can really fill up sometimes ?

my thought would be just point it at your 1TB drive at first ?

if you have troubles finding his download test files I can go find the link and point you :)

allocate %70 of memory ? according to lloyd no more ? I did some quick tests at higher and I am back down to %70 and am going to do some more tests at %75 and see but I think he is correct in his testing

remember the second you open PS it sets aside scratch !!!! so it is hitting to disc rather you like it or not :)

the new thread thing ? no worries just curious :) heheehh
I am at 75% of memory.
Where is the lloyd test?
My scratch is set to the 1TB drive

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Anyone know if setting Advanced OpenGL mode will make any difference?

READ HIS SITE !!!!! he answers all these question for you !!!!!

http://macperformanceguide.com/OptimizingPhotoshopCS5-Benchmarks.html

then go back and read !!! you will find your answer about GL settings :) its worth knowing cause their is a bump in speed with the correct choice

I am going to repeat what Honumaui says. Read his site. Thoroughly.

There is a wealth of information. Too much to take in on just one read through. And, in my opinion, you will get better answers there. People on this thread are either going to tell you things that may not be entirely accurate for your uses, or they are going to tell you what Diglloyd has said. Why I like his answers is that he methodically tests as many factors as possible. Generally other people are merely going by their own impressions for their own set ups.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.