Configuring two time capsules

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by themockscot, Jul 6, 2011.

1. themockscot macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have just bought a second (TC) time capsule (4th gen). On the original time capsule (3rd gen) i used it as hard drive for itunes and for back up through time machine. However space had become an issue and want to move the backup next door and hence the 4th gen purchase.

What i would like to do is:

Have the 3rd gen TC as the back up through time machine only (no change) and should be ok

4th Generation TC : Move the itunes library from the 3rd to the 4th gen time capsule. Issue: I have tried setting the itunes library to the 4th gen under the 'Data' folder (thru itunes > preferences > advanced etc). This hangs about 3/4 of the way through for hours. However when i re start itunes it says the 4th gen TC is the new location (although not surprisingly the folders have not been created). Then i try to consolidate the libraries and it hangs again. I know this can take some time (itunes library is 347Gb) but after a hours nothing has started to transfer....

The 3rd gen, 4th gen, and mac book pro are now linked by ethernet cable to have the quickest connection. The 4th gen is connected to router and provides the wifi, however the mac book wifi is switched off at the moment.

I tried to just copy the itunes folders and files over from the 3rd to 4th gen and after some hours i got the message along the lines of the folder already exits in the drive and therefore cannot be copied. In the past I have solved this by formatting the drive to accept case sensitivities etc and it worked (however disk utility doesn't show the new time capsule so can't check?). However i can't see why a i can have the file structure on the 3rd gen and not on the 4th they must be formatted in the same way.

Is there setting in the time capsule i am missing to make the consolidation of libraries work?

Hope that makes sense?

Thanks in advance,
    James

2. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

This may be an overly simplistic idea, but have you tried to copy some small files from the MBP to the 4th-gen TC? I'm thinking this would be quick, and could help verify that the TC disk is formatted correctly and working, at least to some extent.

3. themockscot thread starter macrumors newbie

Configuring two time capsules

Hi,
    I can copy files across manually. Is it something to do with Connecting sharing? For both TC it is set to 'Off(Bridge Mode)' and the Configure IPv4 is set to 'Using DHCP' Is these the right settings?
    Thanks
    James

4. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

Those seem like the correct settings to me, assuming you have another router. I really don't know what the problem is, as it seems like you're able to access both TCs internal drives from your MBP, right? Don't know why the copy would fail except that, of course, that 347GB is a huge amount of data! You could try copying just parts of the library, starting small...

I assume you don't have the space to first copy the iTunes library from the old TC to the MBP or an attached external drive, and then (if that succeeds) copy it again to the new TC? At least then you might find out if the problem is getting off the old TC or putting it onto the new TC...

Regards,
    Brian33