Configuring wireless networks with multiple access points

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dwfaust, Sep 7, 2015.

1. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

I am looking to replace an existing wireless network, and because of the ease of extending the network with multiple access points, I am looking at using a combination of Apple Airport routers. The only twist that I see is that I need to have multiple secured networks.

The requirements are:
    • Primary "internal" network for about 25-30 wireless connections.
    • Primary "guest" network for up to 100 wireless connections.
    • Secondary "internal" network for about 5 wireless connections.

All routers/connections will be located in a single building of approximately 5,000 sf with limited number of walls and other hindrances.

We can connect the various wifi routers via Ethernet to allow for better throughput.

I know that the Apple routers will allow both "primary" and "guest" networks, but not sure how to implement the secondary internal network. And I am concerned about getting around the potential double-NAT issues.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of configuration?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Yes. I have managed a network of twelve AirPort Expresses and one Extreme which served 150+ clients daily. It is a great system and will work well but I strongly advise you to look at a system like UniFi for sheer manageability. We used the AirPorts for over two years but replaced them with UniFi so we could easily add APs without pulling separate electrical wiring.