Confirm how to turn off push etc

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bulldog VII, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Bulldog VII macrumors 6502

Bulldog VII

Hi all

Just got my phone bill for last month & may day in France was slightly more expensive than I thought. I thought I turned push etc off, but clearly didn't & I am being charged £92.16 (about $200) for 37.000 KB

I'm not impressed with o2 at the moment :mad:

When I go across next month, can someone please tell me how to turn all the searching etc off & also as I update my address with push how will I get my phone numbers etc if push is off??

Thanks

2. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Well ... did you use 37 megs of data or not?

Regardless of push, using email or internet or maps or the App store and so on is all data usage.

3. Bulldog VII thread starter macrumors 6502

Bulldog VII

I may have checked to see if I had any emails, but can't see how it would be that much

4. philgilder macrumors 68000

1MB of data in the EU costs £3

theres no way 37KB costs £92!!! phone o2

5. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Yeah, I hear ya man.

But honestly, seeing as how data "friendly" the iPhone is, I'd just bite the bullet and tack-on a little bit of data to your existing plan.

Might as well pay an extra 15 or 20 £ (or whatever) every month, as opposed to 90 or 100 £ all randomly out of nowhere.

6. jsamuelson macrumors member

jsamuelson

37 megs is a lot of data for a mobile device. 37kb is nothing and would correspond to you checking email occasionally etc...

Sounds like you got screwed on roaming data charges.

I spoke with Swisscom this week about data charges. For 5 francs a month I get a reduced data tariff with something like 10 megabytes free then 3 francs a megabyte (just over a quid a megabyte). Still expensive but without that plan the price goes through the roof.

So if you want to avoid charges and can't find a free wifi hotspot:

1. Fetch New Data > Push set to Off and Fetch set to Manually.
    2. General > Network > Data Roaming set to Off.

If you NEED a data connection for important emails then leave Data Roaming on but:

3. Don't use data hungry apps like Maps and browsing. Apple claim pages are cached but in reality they almost always refresh whenever the app starts.
    4. Cut down on your weather locations.
    5. Don't use any streaming radio apps, iTunes, YouTube and don't let the App Store update any of your apps.

If push is off all your data will still be on the phone you just won't get anything updated OTA if you make changes elsewhere.

Talk to O2 about data roaming in Europe. They will have some kind of parity with Vodafone - with them it's called Euro Passport and/or Vodafone World.

My recollection of O2, one of the worst companies I have ever dealt with, is that you will be stuck with paying this bill though.

Regards,

John

7. TechIsCool macrumors member

[​IMG]

here is how to disable all data until you come back