Confirm info for optibay

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gngan, Jun 18, 2011.

1. gngan, Jun 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2011

gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I've been searching a lot of info about optibay options but would like to confirm something before i head out and buy stuff.

1) I have a late 2007 white MacBook. I believe it's Santa Rosa?

2) It's better if i install SSD in the original HDD and put the HDD into optibay?

3) I will need the PATA rather than SATA?

4) I will also need a optibay that's 9.5mm?

Thanks in advance.

2. gngan thread starter macrumors 68000

gngan

3. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

most of the recent literature about installing SSDs in the hard drive bay is due to sata 3 speed there vs sata 2 speed in the optical bay for the first batch of 2011 macbooks. considering better protection/noise isolation i would keep the hard drive where it is and put the SSD in the optibay. Im not sure about the disk drive height for your model, but the answer to the sata/pata question is located in the system profiler app (just find your disk drive and look at its connection type)

4. gngan, Jun 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011

gngan thread starter macrumors 68000

gngan

Thanks for your suggestion.

Please correct me if i am wrong. I read somewhere that people are having problem if you put the bootdrive (SSD) in the optibay? I know the original HDD is SATA2 but what about the opitbay?

Do you know if the caddy has any way to tighten it (a screw)?

5. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

I've heard about hibernation/sleep issues with the boot drive in the optibay, but because I always save my files and don't let my battery go below 20% (any lower is bad for the battery), I have disabled the sleep image which saves disk space and seems to prevent any issues with having the boot drive in the optibay. To find out if you have a SATA connection in your optical bay go to system profiler --> serial ata and see if your superdrive is listed. If it is, look at the link speed (not negotiated link speed)... SATA 2 is 3gigabit. As far as caddys go, it jut depends on the model you get, but mine doesn't have screw mounts and works just fine.

6. gngan thread starter macrumors 68000

gngan

I don't see my DVD drive under the serial ata so i assume it's PATA. Thanks for the quick reply riptideMBP. You are the only person willing to help here. lol

Cheers.