Confirm: Is the following how push is supposed to work, despite MobileMe?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by hamz01, Jul 17, 2008.

1. hamz01 macrumors newbie

I understand that push does not exist between a computer and server. Only a mobile device and server. Eventually they'll figure out a way for all devices to get pushed information, but for now...

My iPhone gets pushed emails instantly (on 3G, not wifi). Normal. Is my iPhone also supposed to push information on what I've done with email? Like, if I delete an email on my iPhone, is the iPhone supposed to push that action to the server as well? MobileMe doesn't reflect this, but I'm wondering if that's how it's supposed to work. For my contacts, I can sit here with my iPhone and with the Address Book web app open, change a contact in one place, and instantly see it changed in the other place. If I am looking at the Mail web app, I expect to see an email disappear when I delete it on my iPhone, but it doesn't. If it's a MobileMe bug, fine. But if that's normal behavior, I am very disappointed. Push should keep everything totally up to date for all actions, not just notification of new emails.

I think this a different discussion than other posts. If not I apologize. I'm trying to get to the bottom of exactly how and what push does, despite how MobileMe is acting.

2. philamac macrumors regular

Yes, it's supposed to push information on what you've done with your email. What you've talked about, deleting an email and not seeing it deleted on your webapp, is a bug that some of us have been experiencing. Some have said that just refreshing the web page will reveal that their email was indeed deleted correctly, but I personally haven't had the luck. For the rest of us, I have not heard of a fix yet.

There is a workaround for now, if you delete one of your supposedly deleted emails, the rest of the deleted emails still in your inbox will disappear as well. Let's hope apple fixes this one soon. Pretty annoying for people like me who access the web app regularly.