confirmation of 27" imac issues

Discussion in 'iMac' started by super spud, Dec 12, 2013.

1. super spud macrumors member

Hi all.

As some of you have already given me great advise you will know I recently ordered a 21.5" imac with ssd and 16gb ram (ott for current needs). As my current build has an estimated time of 2-3 weeks! It occurred to me I would actually be better of with a base model 27 with ssd (educational discount).

Im based in the uk and crucial have 16gb of ram available shoukd the need arise for this much in the future. Can anyone confirm that these kits are OK?!

Also they have ssd kits available however im tempted to to pay the apple £50 premium unless its a very simple install?

Are there other issues I should be wary of?

Im sure 27 is too big but will grow on me.

Cheers!

2. Zenton macrumors member

confirmation of 27" imac issues

Do you think that the 27" model would come any sooner? Is that the reason you are thinking about it? It would probably take just as long as your current order, because they would still have to build it for you.

Anyway, I recommend the 27"! I just ordered one, can't wait. After testing both sizes I found the bigger better.

E: a stock model would of course ship faster! But I definitely wouldn't open up a brand new computer to install the ssd. Google for instructions and remember that it voids warranty!

3. super spud thread starter macrumors member

Not because it would come sooner but the waiting time has given me oppertunity to mull it over.

Just looked and the ssd was for macbook which is strange a I inserted my model into crucial!!?

Are there any issues I need to be aware of? Something about ghost or was this fixed?

If im honest 21 tad too small 27 tad too big. For autocad tad too big = OK!

Can anyone confirm upgrading ram is ok?

4. ender78 macrumors 6502

I went with G.SKILL RAM but yes it is a user serviceable part, not even a tool is required which I found a really nice touch. RAM install does NOT void warranty.

5. DianeK macrumors regular

27" will only seem too big until the first time you work with 2 documents/pages open at the same time. It took me, ummm, 5 minutes to get over the "it's so big" reaction :)

6. Jambalaya macrumors 6502a

I would get the 27 with 8GB RAM rather than a 21.5 with 16. You can change internals but the screen size is permanent, plus you say 16 is overkill for you anyway. For what it's worth I put a 7200rpm HDD into my mini and I am finding it more than fast enough for normal web, email, document creation etc

7. super spud thread starter macrumors member

indeed I only opted for the 16gb because its non uogradable later. I may not ever utilise 16gb so would rather spend the money on screen size which ill see everyday and have the option to upgrade should the need arise hence my question.
    I went into pc world today and its so hard to tell what is the right size as your stood up etc. Even cut some card to size at home to see lol!
    I would work with 2 documents so having both open woukd be a great help!

Just comes down to personal preference all else being equal!

----------

I agree!

----------

Brilliant thanks!!

Im assuming all else is equal between models? (Other than spec of course.) By that I mean they have similar capabilities ie use as tv etc, reliability etc.

8. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

I installed an extra 8gb of crucial memory in my 27 iMac petty much as soon as I got it, it does not invalidate the warranty, and requires no tools to install just some finger nails to prize the small door open (that's why it's there!)
    I bought 2x4gb as I understand that gives fractionally better performed than one 8gb stick, anyway it's all running fine.
    The crucial website (no connection other than as a satisfied user) has a wizard that guides you to the right choice.
    BTW as you are in the uk if you go via the quidco website you can geta few percent back as well.

9. super spud thread starter macrumors member

So you added 2 x 4 gb to the already 2x4gb set up so = 4 cards in total?

Will take a final look tomorrow and place my order but im leaning towards the 27 inch.

10. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

I think you'll be very happy with the 27" although it may seem a little strange just initially. I quickly became used to mine and wouldn't want to go back to anything smaller now. It's just so nice to have the extra screen real estate when you have multiple documents, apps or whatnot open. It's just a pleasure to work in a more sizable environment.

Depending on where you keep your computer and what other things you might use it for, the larger size can be very nice there too. For me it is great to sometimes watch movies on in my bedroom where there is no television and I also enjoy computer gaming so it's quite nice for that as well. Sticking just to work though, where you mentioned a need to work with multiple documents at a time, you'd be wise to get the 27".

11. tomwvr macrumors regular

tomwvr

I love my 27 inch IMac - I will never be able to be happy using smaller screens - my Old PC had a 21 inch monitor and when I go use it (gave it to my son) now and then the screen looks soooo small.

And when I am at work using real old PC's (some of which have CTR monitors) I feel like this is soooooooo small.

Tom

12. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Correct I was advised by a more knowledgable friend that matched pairs of memory are better. I think it may have been slightly cheaper also, though that wasn't a factor there was little in it.

Btw I had the same feeling about the 27 inch, thought it was probably too big but knew the 21 was too small so went with the larger, now it doesn't feel large at all.

13. super spud thread starter macrumors member

I find it hatd to tell in store due to the environment and standing position. I was just wondering how many slots there were as it already comes with 8gb so I would have to buy 2 x 8gb to make it 16 id just add another 2 x 4 gb cards?

14. super spud, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013

super spud thread starter macrumors member

Order placed and spent a little more (again!! All these little 'extras soon add up') TThn I wanted. However im alot more comfortable spending the amount I have on a 27 than slightly less on a 21. Defo think it would of lacked the wow factor after a few days.

15. danny_w macrumors 601

I think the 27 will be fine. I have a 24 at home and also thought a 27 would be too big so was thinking about getting a 21 when i upgrade. However I recently got a 27 monitor at work and now feel comfortable with the size.

16. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I have a 27" and just love it thought I probably would not buy another new one.

Mine has the optical drive and the new ones do not.

I use that drive several times a week.