Confirmation that what I want to do will work?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Sunsean, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Sunsean macrumors 6502

I need to jailbreak my iphone 4s, to use tetherme to edit my apn settings to get mms working. I'm fine with this, did it on my previous iphone. BUT - I've come to really just be fine with and enjoy the stock iphone experience. When I was jb, I noticed dramatic decrease in performance and battery life. I realize it may have been faulty tweaks or who knows what, and I'm not bashing jailbreaking at all, and will probably do it again when I get bored, but for me, I prefer stock at the moment.

So anyway my question: can I jailbreak the phone, edit the apns, then remove the jailbreak while keeping the edited apn settings? If so, how would I go about this? I guess I could just keep it jailbroken once I've done it, but like I said, I'm planning to go stock anyway, so why be jailbroken if I don't have to be?

Thanks for any tips.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You cannot do that. The only way to remove the jailbreak is to restore and that will also reset your APN. Just jailbreak and install only TetherMe. Then stop using Cydia or uninstall it via Cydia. This does not remove the jailbreak. It only removes Cydia to stop tempting you to install more stuff.

3. Sunsean thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply. Yeah that's what I wasn't sure about...I was thinking if I JB the phone, edit the apns, make a backup, then restore to factory, THEN restore to last backup, the APNs might be restored without the jailbreak...what happens if you restore a JB backup to a JB iphone? Is the iphone still jailbroken?

4. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

5. Sunsean thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Yeah, ulockit will get your data apn working, but unfortunately it doesn't do the mms apn, which is a separate setting. But data is definitely more important than mms, and it's great that there's a free and easy way to get it up and running....just wish it did the same for mms :-/

6. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

The problem with that is if TetherMe offers an update via Cydia the recipient won't be able to do so.

7. Sunsean thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I guess I'll just keep the jailbreak on and only install tetherme...worst case scenario, if I 'have' to remove the jb for some reason or if it's really bugging me, I'll just deal with no mms. A lot of my friends have iphones anyway, and imessage sends pics fine, and for the android/blackberry people if I really have to send a pic I can e-mail it...thanks for the input though, guys, thought this would be doable...I don't recall the thread but someone DID say it was possible...

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

A new version of TetherMe would likely be for a new iOS version. The OP doesn't even want to use TetherMe for any other reason then to change his/her APN. Once that's done, TetherMe will never be used by the OP again until he/she restores their device and needs to change the APN again. In fact, the OP could uninstall TetherMe and Cydia once the APN has been changed.

9. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

10. Sunsean thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, might try that. My understanding of jb is that doing it in and of itself doesn't impact battery/performance, but that only certain apps/tweaks have this effect...if that's true, I would be fine with keeping cydia/tetherme tucked away in a misc. folder...I have no issue with being jailbroken other than I don't want it to negatively impact the overal performance of my 4s.