[Confirmed] 27" iMac could be used as an external display for other devices

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iMacKeung, Nov 26, 2009.

1. iMacKeung macrumors member

APPLE has posted a knowledge base article recently, saying that the 27 inches iMac could be used as an external display for other devices, using a third party converter to convert the signal to DisplayPort compliant signals.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3924

At least we have some official words that it does work and can expect those converter to be available soon :D:cool:

2. BelowTheBelt macrumors regular

3. Mike Macintosh macrumors regular

Mike Macintosh

Um ya... we knew this for awhile now, it's old news.

4. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

5. Gaijin de Moscu macrumors regular

6. JajoPGH macrumors regular

Why didn't you say something?

7. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

If I am not mistaken, this was known the day it was launched...

8. iMacKeung thread starter macrumors member

According to this article in Appleinsider, they thought it may never be possible to use the iMac as a display for non-DisplayPort devices, even with a converter.

And there's constant speculation about whether it's possible even with a converter...then now at least we have some official words that IT IS POSSIBLE

we just have to wait some third-party company to introduce their converters :cool::D

9. unamused macrumors 6502

you guys need to check the other threads regarding hooking the imac up with an xbox 360. Sure you may not be directly interested in using the 360 but if the 360 works, then so should anything else assuming you go the same route.

Currently atlona makes the devices you need, its going to cost close to 400 dollars for the proper adapters but it is said to work.

10. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

This is a very important bit of info. It means you can be running a CPU or OpenCL intensive task(s) on the computer and use its as a display as additional productivity space for another machine.

Example: The first iMac can be rendering a scene/picture/whatever while a second iMac or a Mac Pro is working to create the next project.

11. SachaS macrumors regular

^ But that's from a PC to the iMac screen. That's not the same as an XBox or a blu-ray player for example. That's Display Port to Mini Display Port. What most people are looking for is HDMI to Mini Display Port.

I mean obviously that's going to work. That's just like plugging in a MacBook to the bloody thing for gods sake. We/I want Xbox 360 compatibility!

12. treoguy macrumors member

I have an early-2008 Mac Pro w/ Nvidia 8800 GT with Windows 7 installed on an SSD partition (OS X on other half). Am I correct in that I can use the iMac as a display using Target disk mode, with the Mac Pro running Windows 7 and the iMac turned on running OS X.

Right now, I'm pleased with the performance of the Mac Pro, but would like to use the iMac as a display. I would like to be sure I can switch between my OS X install and Windows 7 running on the Mac Pro. I do not want to run either on the iMac, since I'd like access to drives on my Mac Pro, some of which are shared.

TIA