Confirmed: 3G Tethering Coming to iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aznkid25, Nov 6, 2008.

1. aznkid25 macrumors 6502

2. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Nice! Because this stupid limitation is preventing everyone else in other countries where we don't have unlimited data plans on the iPhone from using their iPhones as modems!

3. crandel macrumors member

Thats great! I always regret not getting the tethering app that was in the appstore for a while...

Does anybody know how much ATT would charge for something like this?

4. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Very nice but I bet the price is so high that very few people use it.

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

$30 a month on top of the iPhone's $30 data plan.

6. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Can someone explain to me what this will allow you to do if it becomes available?

7. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

If you have a notebook and no wifi around, you can set the iphone up to "tether" and your notebook will see the iphone and give your notebook access to the Internet at 3g speeds.

8. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

You will be able to access internet on your laptop / computer by having your iPhone plugged into your computer (or wireless transferred from your iPhone to your computer).

So say you were in a car and had your laptop with you and had an iPhone. Having this will be like having iPhone service on your laptop. Same speeds your iPhone gets, just making it easier to type and see since it's on a laptop.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Plug your iPhone into your laptop and surf the web on the laptop using the 3G data connection on the iPhone. So, laptop internet where there's no wi-fi.

AT&T sells cards that do this without cell phones. You just plug them into your laptop and you're good to go. I do believe those are $30 a month seperate from your phone bill. So yes, I would imagine that tethering an iPhone will be something similar. MAYBE they'll be nice and charge $20.

Shame. I'd be all over this at $8-$10 a month. But higher than that and I'll just live without it.

10. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Thanks for the answer.

I agree- if my bank account didn't look like the inside of a Dunkin Donuts I would go for it, at $5-$10 I definitely would too. I'm on the train enough with my MacBook anyway, it would be awesome to have Internet wherever I went. We'll see what happens.

11. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

The price will prob. be $30 - $50.

12. psYcon macrumors newbie

this is news??

Tethering is already available to iphone via PdaNet. All you need is to jailbreak the phone and install it via Cydia. It shouldn't take the average user more than half an hour to setup including the jailbreak itself.

13. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

What part of some people do not want to jailbreak their phone and what part of you are tethering against your ATT contract when you do that and run the risk of them canceling your account do you not understand?

14. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Then you aren't a Republican regardless of how you are registered.

15. daisuke07 macrumors regular

that's his signature...

16. DigMe macrumors 6502

No, actually it is $60 a month to get a standalone 3G net card for your laptop. Their current tethering plan for their other phones is $30 extra a month. My wife has the tethering plan for her Tilt. We went with that since it was half the price of a standalone card.

17. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Thanks, I know that. :rolleyes: I like commenting on ill-informed signatures. Blaming Palin for the disaster that was McCain's campaign shows total lack of understanding of what happened.

18. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

once a legitimate tethering plan becomes available it will be interesting to see how apple handles the current tethering apps. i expect AT&T to ask apple to stop people from stealing $30/month from them. perfect time to try out the kill switch. ;)