CONFIRMED: Apple Care "Fix WONT fix antenna Issues"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Beast10101, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Beast10101 macrumors newbie

http://gizmodo.com/5580587/applecare-the-iphone-4-update-wont-solve-the-antenna-problem

July 6, 2010

2. Beast10101 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Obviously it won't ... no-one at Apple ever said it would.

As usual people jump to conclusions and take part in chinese whispers.

All Apple said is that there's an issue with how the iPhone identifies the strength of the signal and displays it on screen. They also said the first three bars would be lengthened to make them easier to see on screen.

They never once mentioned or addressed the physical touching of the antenna point on the lower left corner of the iPhone 4, yet some people took "signal strength representation" and managed to come up with "antenna issue fix".

Nothing surprises me on here anymore though.

4. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

No issue here! Sorry

5. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

I have to say, I'm exactly the same.

Well, that's a bit of a lie ... but it's within reason. The signal issue, in my experience, is circumstantial.

In my home I've always had a crap signal with O2. On my iPhone 3G I would be happy to see two bars on GPRS ... it's that bad.

Right now, my iPhone 4 is sitting in front of me with three bars and GPRS.

If I hold the phone in the manner which some people claim they hold their iPhones (aka: The Death Grip), I can make the signal drop.

When I'm at work in Glasgow City Centre, and indeed when I'm out of our little estate and out onto the "main road", I get five bars on 3G and cannot get a single bar to drop no matter how much I cover that bottom left corner.

It does seem to be about the quality of the signal in the area you are using your iPhone 4 in at that time. If the phone is receiving a weaker signal, covering the antenna will hinder the device. If your iPhone 4 is receiving a strong signal, then it'll remain connected regardless.

That's my experience.

Also, I don't hold the phone (and have never held any mobile phone) in the manner that cuts off the antenna, so even when using the phone at home with my three bars on GPRS, I don't worry. I never find myself thinking, "Oh better watch where my pinkie finger goes". :D

When in a full five bar 3G reception area though, the thing flies ... browsing on Safari is extremely fast and streaming Sky Sports News over 3G using the Sky Mobile TV app isn't an issue ... regardless of how and where I hold my iPhone 4!

6. ReflexReact macrumors 6502